Century Single Line Font

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
richardg6paj
Model of CNC Machine: Roland EGX600

Century Single Line Font

Post by richardg6paj »

Just wondering why the Century Single line font curves are such low resolution.

richardg6paj

Re: Century Single Line Font

Post by richardg6paj »

No one knows or cares?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It's unusual for a post to go unanswered on the forum, what problems are you having? I don't have the software installed on this laptop so can't look just now.

Fon't are made up of vectors so don't have a resolution the same as a bitmap does. If you are having a problem with this font then it is not a resolution issue.

richardg6paj

Post by richardg6paj »

CENTURY FONT.JPG
I beg to differ Martin. All drawings being vector or bitmap have resolution.
The curves on the Century single line font don't have the resolution on the curves that the other single line fonts.
See picture, Century font is the top one. And as we can't edit or replace the single line fonts it is really annoying.
Thanks for reply BTW. :D

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

The curves on the Century single line font don't have the resolution on the curves that the other single line fonts.
That's because they are made up of vectors. Like Martin said, they don't have resolution. A vector only has direction and length. A bitmap has resolution. All fonts have a certain style. Century's style is as you see it--with short, straight vectors making up the curves. The nice thing about vectors is, since they ARE vectors, you can enlarge without loss of what you call resolution.
If these don't meet your needs just add different ones. Try looking at the other software fonts. Below is an example of other software_Stick_2 done at 3" height.
Attachments
123.jpg
Last edited by Mike-S on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Richard the issue is that that particular font has nodes that other fonts don't have, you may be able to edit that font in a font editor & then install it as a TTF rather than a single line font (don't know how that would work).
Would be tedious but you could edit on a job by job basis, convert the text to curves & you can then node edit as you would a vector graphic, of course it wouldn't be text anymore so couldn't be edited as text.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yup, vectors do not have "resolution".

Whoever created Century is responsible for the angularity. Since fonts are designed, it is what the designer wanted.

The choice is pretty simple, if the font does not work for your application, then you will need to pick a different font.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

richardg6paj

Post by richardg6paj »

Thanks for all your replies. The original question was "Just wondering why the Century Single line font curves are such low resolution".
All the single line fonts were created by Vectric and can't be edited as fonts and the single line font list can't be added to.
If you convert a Century font letter eg, O to "curves, you will see in fact that the curves are straight lines. Which means that this particular font
will look worse the bigger you make. By using straight lines instead of curves the font behaves like a Bitmap, the more straight lines you put into a
curve the higher the resolution. All plot files sent out for cutting and engraving consist of straight lines. The stepper motors and servo motors have resolution (steps),
your CNC machine uses vector graphics and it has resolution.

If you look at the other font I sent a picture of, "AVNTGRD 1 Line" and convert to curves you will see that it only has four points (nodes) because the letter is made up of
bezier curves which have an infinite (limited by software) resolution and so when enlarged still look smooth. These smooth curves are eventually converted to hundreds of straight lines when output to the machine.
So again why does the Century Single line font "curves" have such a low resolution.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Whoever created Century is responsible for the angularity. Since fonts are designed, it is what the designer wanted.
You might find a useful font here:
http://www.mrrace.com/other software_Fonts/
Last edited by Mike-S on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

All vectors are made from straight lines. To simulate a curve or an arc the line segments are just short lines spanned across pixels. The number of pixels it spans, both in length and in width, determine the "resolution". It is not possible to bend a line between pixels.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

richardg6paj wrote: So again why does the Century Single line font "curves" have such a low resolution.
As has been said it's because that's the way it was made. It's a bit like asking why does a Porsche 911 have the engine in the back. It's because that's where the designer wanted it.

Unless the designer of the font is on the forum you aren't going to get an answer.

richardg6paj

Post by richardg6paj »

All vectors are made from straight lines. To simulate a curve or an arc the line segments are just short lines spanned across pixels. The number of pixels it spans, both in length and in width, determine the "resolution". It is not possible to bend a line between pixels.
Thank you, Steve.
It's a bit like asking why does a Porsche 911 have the engine in the back. It's because that's where the designer wanted it.
The same Century TTF has smooth curves, so don't think it's a designer issue, more like digitising issue.
Attachments
CENTURY ttf FONT.JPG

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Is it really a single line font. I has more then 1 line in each letter. Looking at the single line fonts
and using a simple word (HELLO) I tried the fonts. Looking at them I see 1L ,2L and 4L these
appear to designate how many lines make the font.There are 1 , 2, 3, 4, and 5 L fonts. I have no
idea how to use these. Maybe they are for something other then CNC use. Embroidery or somthing else. Looks like the century is an orphan. Just my thoughts.

I never could make any 2,3,4 or5 look good vcarving or profile.

Don

I am probably all wrong LoL

richardg6paj

Post by richardg6paj »

Don, It's really a two line font. But still, comes under the category of Single line fonts to differentiate from TT Fonts.
These single line fonts are excellent for drag or diamond point engraving. Very useful for me. I wanted to use the
Century font this week and was disappointed with the quality compared to all the other single line fonts. And just
wondered why this was so. The follow-up question would be why doesn't Vectric share the software or technique
to allow users to generate single line fonts to add to the list as they stated the wouldn't be releasing any more.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The single line fonts are a library licensed from another company.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop