Perpendicular lines

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wood400
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 7090 cnc router

Re: Perpendicular lines

Post by wood400 »

Hi Folks. I have a particular instance in roofing geometry where most of the geometry is obtained by perpendicular lines . how accurate can i be with inserting a node point.
Thanks alan
Attachments
detail geometry
detail geometry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can place a node with an accuracy to 4 decimal places so it shouldn't be a problem.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

wood400 wrote:Hi Folks. I have a particular instance in roofing geometry where most of the geometry is obtained by perpendicular lines . how accurate can i be with inserting a node point.
Thanks alan
You can be as accurate as you have dimensions for if you are familiar with traditional drafting techniques. The new ability to type in dimensions as you are drawing a line or object makes version 9 even better for drawing up complex parts. The Offset tool make it easy to draw a standard width board. Layout guidelines can be set up at any angle if you know the angle. If I need a new node at a known distance from a known endpoint then I draw a temporary line from the end to the node position (typing in the distance as I'm drawing along the previous line) and then continue perpendicular from my new end (node) point. The new vector validator will remind you where you put any overlaying temporary lines so you can delete them if it matters.

4D

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

Hi Adrian. Thank you for sharing. i believe with this function in aspire it will be great for the geometry i normally set out on plywood. If you could give me a wee bit more knowledge. As with the previous drawing. Anywhere i have 2 lines intersecting and i want to project perpendicular from the intersection point i am not sure how i would go about obtaining this accurate node setting to this point. Adrian i really appreciate your kindness . Vectric has grown so much with this upgrade.
Thanks alan

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

Hi 4DTHINKER. I would not have dimensions as it is just intersecting lines which are giving me the position of which i need to project from. I feel if i can master this it opens a lot of potential for my normal hand skill drawing. Maybe there is something i am just not catching onto.
Cheers alan

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Where lines intersect becomes a virtual node point that you can draw to to create a node you can go perpendicular from. This works on either of the two intersecting lines. If you want to bisect the intersection then that will take another drafting trick or two.

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

Hi 4DTHINKER. I have a picture of an intersection that i would want an accurate node positioned on . I am still not sure how you obtain this virtual point. Can you help.?
Thanks alan
:? :? :? :?

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

I FORGOT TO ADD ATTACHMENT
Attachments
WP_20170720_11_24_35_Pro.jpg

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Where the lines cross becomes a point you can snap to. So from either the angled line or the box side you can draw a temporary line that starts at a known end/corner and ends at that intersection. Put that temp line on whichever segment you want to go perpendicular to. Now from that temp line end you can start a new line that you can snap perpendicular to and even type in the length you want it to be as you draw it if it matters.
Perp from intersection 4D.jpg
Perp from intersection 4D.pdf
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

hI 4DTHINKER. Think i have got it now.
1 convert line to node function pic 1
2 insert node just away from determined intersection point. pic 2
3 drag node along line to intersection point pic 3
4 centre icon will be visable when node is over the correct position. pic 4
5 select line , start over inserted point which is recognised and drag line out and around till right angle highlights.
This will Be Absolutely Great for what i d with the projection geometry.
Thank you again to the great members of this forum.
Alan :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
WP_20170720_11_24_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20170720_12_01_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20170720_12_02_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20170720_12_02_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20170720_12_03_32_Pro.jpg

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Looks like you've got it. More than welcome to help.

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Makes me very glad to watch the process of helpfulness on this forum on a daily basis! I love this community.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

mtylerfl wrote:Makes me very glad to watch the process of helpfulness on this forum on a daily basis! I love this community.
Ditto that Michael. I have learned so much on this forum. It is such a pleasure to go on a community that doesn't bash one another , just pure help for those that are in need. And we all get to see a ton of cool projects while watching different members grow in their craft.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Wood, just another thought along these lines ( :D ); if you use the scissors tool to cut you line when it crosses the lower edge of your rectangle, that will create a node exactly where you want it and you can snap your perpendicular line to that.....joe
Attachments
Untitled.png

wood400
Vectric Apprentice

Post by wood400 »

Hi Joe . Great option . this is great and thanks for the created image. i really like images :D :D :D :D
Thanks alan