Perpendicular lines

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Perpendicular lines

Post by ger21 »

I looked last night, and couldn't get it to snap perpendicular. I'll look again when I get home.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

ger21 wrote:I looked last night, and couldn't get it to snap perpendicular. I'll look again when I get home.
It'll work. Just move your cursor away from your node to wake up the snapping feature. You'll see the perpendicular symbol appear, then draw your vector. Taa-daa!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

I wasn't trying to snap to a node, just perpendicular to a line.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

ger21 wrote:I wasn't trying to snap to a node, just perpendicular to a line.
You need a node as a reference point. You can put a node wherever you want on your line. Or, you can use existing mid-point or end-points instead. The "point" is (pun), you must have something for the snap to reference.

You can move your perpendicular line anywhere you want after it is drawn, if necessary.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

I see. I wasn't doing that.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Since there seems to be a few here that have a copy of 9, could you tell me what the 6th (last) icon on the 2nd row of Edit Object is for?

Thanks!
4D

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Vector Validator
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

IslaWW wrote:Vector Validator
Thanks Gary.

My old eyes thought it looked like a check mark in the Router Bob video. Only time I have trouble with vectors is when I've imported a student drawing done using some other CAD program. Be nice if this was a smart shortcut to finding and deleting all duplicate lines, vertical lines that are only points in Aspire, and maybe even vectors that were close but not actually ending on the same exact point....

4D

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

4DThinker wrote: My old eyes thought it looked like a check mark in the Router Bob video.
It is a checkmark, over a vector.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

4D...
I am thinking that you will not be dissappointed
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Aspire 9 bought and installed. So far no matter what I try the smart snap does not work to make 90 degree (perpendicular) lines from anywhere (except the centerpoint) in the middle of an existing line unless the existing line is at a snap angle (0,30,45,60,etc.). Even the claimed snap perpendicular to a tangent line only works on the endpoints or center of the tangent lines (unless they also happen to be at a snap angle).

I was hoping smart snap would help make perpendicular lines TO an existing line, starting anywhere on an existing line, and passing through an existing line. Router Bob's video gave me that impression but now I'm convinced his first perpendicular line was simply lucky to be drawn from a line that was at a snap angle.

As I do all my part drawings IN Aspire I was counting on this one feature. Back to my old drafting tricks I guess.

4D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you truly on the mid-point of the line? You have to start on the mid-point or a node. Add a node if you want to start somewhere other than the middle or ends. You can tell if you've picked up the mid-point as the cursor will change.

Also press F4 and check that you have the settings correct under Smart Snapping.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

4DThinker wrote:Aspire 9 bought and installed. So far no matter what I try the smart snap does not work to make 90 degree (perpendicular) lines from anywhere (except the centerpoint) in the middle of an existing line unless the existing line is at a snap angle (0,30,45,60,etc.). Even the claimed snap perpendicular to a tangent line only works on the endpoints or center of the tangent lines (unless they also happen to be at a snap angle).

I was hoping smart snap would help make perpendicular lines TO an existing line, starting anywhere on an existing line, and passing through an existing line.
This was what I was saying earlier in this thread. Here's what I found out after reading the replies to this thread.

Hover the mouse near the endpoint node of a line, until you see the perpendicular symbol. Then, without clicking, drag the mouse away from the line perpendicularly, and you'll see a "rubber band" line perpendicular to that point. If you click while that perpendicular line is displayed, you can then draw a perpendicular line to that point. As someone else mentioned, you can add a node anywhere, and draw a line perpendicular to that node. But it's not as simple as just starting a line anywhere, and drawing a perpendicular line. You have to start from a location perpendicular to a node.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Adding a node works if drawing a line from an existing line. So far no trick I've found works for drawing TO a line from a random point, or through an existing line.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

4DThinker wrote:Adding a node works if drawing a line from an existing line. So far no trick I've found works for drawing TO a line from a random point, or through an existing line.
You can do it (must have a node or mid-point reference).

Draw a line at any angle (random if you wish). If you want a new perpendicular line THROUGH or TO any reference point that you have on your first line, you can by doing the following:

1) Hover your line cursor over your reference point and move AWAY from that reference point. You will see a dotted line and ultimately a square symbol indicating a 90° angle to the existing line.

2) From your desired AWAY location, click to start your line and move your cursor THROUGH or TO the reference point to whatever end location you want, and click to end your new line

Just takes a little practice to get the hang of it.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC