Text-On-Text Issues

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Text-On-Text Issues

Post by highpockets »

TReischl, is right you need to figure out if you have a software (doubtful) or a hardware/setup issue.

You don't need to be proficient at reading gcode. In your case your looking for "Z-0.3600" any Z notations with a negative value greater than -3600 would indicate the PP has an issue (again doubtful).
John
Maker of Chips

TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD MAKO

Post by TimSchubach »

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this - we had a very unexpected death in the family.

I opened the .tap file in a spreadsheet, and looked for all of the Z values. As I expected, I didn't see anything less than -0.36", which takes us back to a setup issue. Any suggestions on what that issue might be would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Condolences.

Now that you know the software is not driving the tool to unspecified depths you can concentrate on other things.

One that comes to mind is: How flat IS your workpiece? Also, are you zeroing it at the same place each time?

If the piece is not flat to begin with then it is imperative that you zero all tools in the same place on the workpiece.

The easiest and best way to check if the piece is flat is to use a feeler and jog the machine around to see if there are big differences. I am NOT a fan of manually zeroing Z axis. It all depends on feel and a few thou can really show up quick.

Another thing is to pay attention to the Z axis. Is it hitting the Z switch when it retracts? If so, you could easily be losing steps. It is also possible something has loosened up in the Z drive. A notorious example is a coupler. The little set screws loosen up a tad, then the coupler can float around a bit, creates backlash that is very hard to find. Also check that the router itself is not loose in the mount.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Daniel S
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger SR-23

Post by Daniel S »

Hi and sorry for your loss..

I have had this problem also with my Shark Pro which is 8 years old. I was convinced that it was because the Shark Pro was not a ridged CNC machine. I was lead to believe that the new Shark HD4 would solve the irregular carvings. Well I

find that my new unit is more ridged then the old unit, but still would not completely solve that issue (I should have bought a more robust CNC) After much trial and error I found that I get the best results when I reduce the plunge settings to 15

inches/min. So I now carve at feed rate 50 in/min and 15 in/min plunge. For the most part I get good results that are easy to clean up. Just a suggestion.

Dan

TimSchubach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD MAKO

Post by TimSchubach »

As far as zeroing between bit changes, yes, I always use the same spot - the center. Yes, a lot of the center area has been cut away, but there is enough there that my touch pad can span the piece. I've also tried cutting on different areas of the table, and always get the same results.

Is the stock perfectly flat before I start? It's as flat as I can make it.

I've also tried running the virtual set-up between bit changes, just in case the clearance path causes the piece to bow a titch. And I've also used the same virtual settings between bit changes on the assumption that there is no bow as a result of the clearance.

I did have a problem with the coupler for the X-axis once - really threw me for a loop until I talked with the guys at Next Wave. But since then, I've checked all three axis again, and the couplers seem to be tight - I don't think there is any slippage there.

One thing to try would be to run a larger diameter bit over the blank, taking off just a hair to make sure that it's surface is parallel to the bed.

Oddly, I did a sign for a client a week or so ago that was just simple flat-bottom recess - not a text-on-text - but I used the same technique of running a 3/16" clearance tool path followed by a 1/16" detail tool path. They were even the same bits I'd been using previously, and there was no error in that.

I have not tried to zero my Z axis by manually. That seems very subjective and prone to even small errors as you suggest. But maybe I do need to try to zero off the piece somewhere that isn't touched by ether of the tool paths.