Aspire 9

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Re: Aspire 9

Post by nicksilva »

the main focus for V9 seems to be on two sided machining which is good if you want to cut a true 3d model.
I'm probably in the minority as I make embossing plates which are one sided so all the new features are not that much of a value added thing to me.
having said that, I'm probably NOT going to be a early adapter. Oh, I'll upgrade for sure but it probably won't be right away. cheers!
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

nicksilva wrote:the main focus for V9 seems to be on two sided machining which is good if you want to cut a true 3d model.
V9 has greatly improved vector drawing tools. It's not just targeted at 2 sided machining.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I have been fortunate to have been in the room with Vectric principals when they have answered this exact question. The answer was, and I am paraphrasing here: "We will not release a new version until we believe it is ready for release" That's as close as I can get.

Of course there will be additional quirks that show up when 50,000 users start to tinker with it vs. the 50 that have been testing it. But, lets be thankful they wish to have it as good as possible before a general release.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

nicksilva wrote:the main focus for V9 seems to be on two sided machining which is good if you want to cut a true 3d model.
I'm probably in the minority as I make embossing plates which are one sided so all the new features are not that much of a value added thing to me.
having said that, I'm probably NOT going to be a early adapter. Oh, I'll upgrade for sure but it probably won't be right away. cheers!
Two-sided machining/milling is not just for 3D models! It has 1001 uses for all kinds of projects that require milling on both sides of the material. Take a look at the Vectric Free projects. Many of them are two-sided jobs that are not 3D models at all. I think you'll find the two-sided feature a lot handier than you may think at the moment (unless you are limited to doing only the embossing plates all the time - which are great, by the way!).

In any case, I know a lot of folks won't be afraid of two-sided jobs anymore. This new feature makes it easier than ever to lay out two-sided work. Plus, you can preview exactly what the outcome is, all while working in the same file! Previously, you had to create two separate files, use your imagination to visualize what the outcome would be, and hope everything was lined up properly between the two separate files. This new feature sure takes a lot of (all?) potential error out of the equation!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

A guy with a shop just up the road from me does a lot of two-sided work for the cabinets he builds. He is a V-Carve user. Support for two-sided projects will greatly simplify his processes.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Any chance the new visualization capability will include rendering of dovetail and t-slot bit cuts?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Nope... It cant happen with a pixel based "top down" look at material. It works the same for 3D models, undercuts will not cut, nor can they be viewed.

I am sure that I am in the minority here, but except when making illustrations for my classes, I seldom use the previewer. Maybe because I learned this stuff before there was one??
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

They can cut, which is a rendering feature that may be difficult or impossible to code for. I cut dovetail joinery and keyhole/t-slots frequently, as well as an occasional undercut for drawer/door handles using a ball end bit that is larger than its shaft. As Aspire can't render what those bits do making toolpaths for them is just hard enough that my students have a difficult time accomplishing it themselves.

Just hoping. Perhaps a programming challenge for version 10 (or 20).

While I'm thinking about programming challenges, I frequently am cutting slots or tapered holes on a board that is clamped at an angle other than flat. THAT would be a feature I'd like: To be able to position and render the material at a tilt relative to how the 3 axes approach it. Yes, I know I am likely in a tiny majority of users that also would. Tilting the material makes possible far more complex furniture joinery.

4D

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

4DThinker wrote:Any chance the new visualization capability will include rendering of dovetail and t-slot bit cuts?
No. Undercut bits cannot be defined in the Tool Database nor previewed.

EDIT: Sorry. I responded from my iPhone and did not see that Gary had already answered your question.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

kevrgood
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kevrgood »

All I want to know is what its going to co$t me to upgrade from V4.5? I did not see any reason to upgrade sooner but
with these improvements its a no Brainer!!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Upgrade prices are on this page
http://www.vectric.com/store/upgrades.html
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

Here is a 16 minute video, by Router Bob, that shows some of the features of V9

Enjoy
Last edited by Desert_Woodworker on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hello Randal,

I see you found the link. Excellent!
Last edited by mtylerfl on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

Thanks guys

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

kevrgood wrote:All I want to know is what its going to co$t me to upgrade from V4.5? I did not see any reason to upgrade sooner but
with these improvements its a no Brainer!!
Guess it depends on what sort of thing you do with the software & your machine, for me the introduction of a 64 bit version of the software when V8 was launched made it worth the upgrade price alone. That was an upgrade of vcarve pro from V7 to V8 which as well as the 64 bit option also included a lot of new stuff that could be done with 3d machining that Aspire would already have had :lol:

Funny enough I have never really had a problem with 2 sided machining. Following the Vectric Tutorials I was never worried about any sort of misalignment & most of the time I only had one file, using layers & naming the layers correctly worked OK for me, same when it came to toolpathing. As for previewing I just looked at one side at a time & believe me Michael I have no imagination what so ever :oops:

Having said that I am sure the changes will make a difference once I get the hang of it :lol: :lol: