Trace Bitmap 2 Open Vectors

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Trace Bitmap 2 Open Vectors

Post by GrandpaB »

I am attempting to convert a bitmap to open path vectors, not closed path vectors. I have successfully used Trace Bitmap to convert an image to a set o closed vectors. This works well if I want to create a V-Carve toolpath. However I want to create a set of open vectors and create a profile toolpath. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Trace Bitmap 2 Open Vectors

Post by Leo »

Not entirely sure what you are asking.

An open vector is like a straight line or a curved line. The ends are NOT connected - or closed. That is an example of an open vector.

On bit map tracings a bitmap line that is traced will often result in two parallel lines, but they would be closed. Of course there are exceptions. If I had a straight line - BITMAP - and I automatically traced it I would then have a closed vector, but that vector would be a double line that traced the outside of the bitmap line.

Soo - do you really - want a open vector? For that, I personally would do it manually, not auto trace.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The auto trace is designed to create closed vectors suitable for a VCarve toolpath so you'll have to edit those vectors to what you want, manually trace them or use a graphics program with a centre line trace option.

Like Leo I'm not sure why you would want open vectors from a bitmap trace. Perhaps if you could explain the end result you're aiming for there might be another or more direct way of doing it.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

Gentlemen,

The ultimate goal is to laser etch a line art picture.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can profile toolpath closed vectors. You'll need to remove the inner or outer vector created by the trace to leave one vector for each shape. It doesn't matter if it's closed.

GrandpaB
Vectric Apprentice

Post by GrandpaB »

With the closed vectors that I get from Trace Bitmap I created two different toolpaths using Quick Engrave. The first toolpath chose the trace option. depending on the width of the closed vector I got either a thick line or an empty shape. This tool bath timed out at 6 minutes. The second toolpath I chose the Fill option. With this option I got a heavy looking picture, and the time was 16.5 minutes. I imagine that if each of the closed vectors were a single line the run time would be approximately 3 minutes.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I am not all that experienced yet with Laser.
I just got mine and I just did my first project yesterday.

A friend is retiring and I wanted a 16 foot runabout. He is going to build one in his retirement.

I found a 16 foot runabout online - I saved the clipart and imported to Aspire.
There is NO difference between Aspire and V-Carve on this stuff.

With the bitmap turned on I manually drew the lines that I wanted then I DXF output.

I imported into my Laser software and completed the project.
The only thing I did in Vectric was the vector lines

I have not tried any of the Vectric toolpath in the laser.
To me - that is not what the Vectric toolpath is for.

Maybe Vectric will develop a Laser CAM package.
That would be nice
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC