Nesting error

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2010 Shop Bot PRS Alpha 18"Z

Nesting error

Post by dmidkiff »

I have nested before with no problem but today I am getting "Failed to nest part 1 (650)" error message. I've changed all the parameters one at a time and still get this message. I have also gotten one the is (750). I've watched the tutorial on nesting by Vectric and shopbot and don't see where I'm going wrong. I've looked in FAQ and found nothing in search for nesting errors. I have just started using layers and suspect that I am doing something wrong there that is causing problems when trying to nest. Any help would be appreciated. Will keep trying.

Thanks,
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Nesting error

Post by Adrian »

Generally that error is shown when the part won't fit. It might look like it does but when the tool size, clearance etc is taken into account it doesn't.

Would need to see the actual file or screenshots at least to be able to offer more accurate advice.

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

I was correct in thinking it was my layering technique that caused the nesting problem. Will keep plugging away at the layering.

Thanks,
Dave

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

Adrian,
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember how to do screen shots, but it would not nest 2 on the sheet when it should have fit at least 8. After posting I decided to nest the parts without layering and was able to get 9 of each part on a 4X8 sheet. So I must be doing something wrong in my layering process. I've watched the layering tuts from shopbot and vectric but must be missing something.

Thanks,
Dave

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'd be interested in what you find out. I've been layering and nesting several times a day ever since those features were added to the software a few years ago. I haven't come across an issue like that before and it might well be a bug rather than something you're doing wrong.

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

I am using version 4.5 so there could be a problem there but the problem likely is me. I will work with it over the weekend to see if I make any progress.

dmidkiff
Vectric Apprentice

Post by dmidkiff »

I finally got around to working on this again. Turns out that there was an extra vector not assigned to a layer that was clogging the works. It was one used for drawing that I was thinking might need a toolpath. After seeing the previews, it did not need a toolpath but I still neglected to delete. Thanks for the help and I hope someone will benefit from my errors.

Dave