Aspire v9.5 wishlist

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
zohozer

Aspire v9.5 wishlist

Post by zohozer »

Because the v9 of the Aspire is just around the corner, I think it is the time to start a new topic about the things that I wish to see into the v9.5 of Aspire so that the Vectric developers to don't complain that they are out of inspiration for developing new features.

- Better 3D file import capabilities. Not just .skp files but also .3DM (Rhino) .dae (Collada) or maybe also other 3D formats.
- Better handling of the geometry when "importing vectors from a file". Right now if the imported geometry from .skp file have mechanisation on both faces, Aspire is creating the necessary shapes for both faces into the same place, meaning I need to take care and manually separate the geometry of the other face and create a new file for the second face mechanisation. I would love to see a more automatic solution for handling this situation. Also would like to see instead of automatic nesting of all the parts from the .skp file into sheets an option to save as individual files for every component and if the component have mechanisation on both faces, the automatic generation of two separate files adding a name extension, like "_top", "_bottom".
- When "import vectors from file" to take into account the thickness of the components. Right now if I have into an .skp model different materials and thicknesses associated to components, when importing in Aspire everything is nested into the same sheet without taking into account the thickness of the components, so if I have mixed components, let's say some of them have 19.8mm and others 18mm thickness, Aspire is nesting them into the same sheet of material.
- MAC and Linux version of Aspire. Because Windows sucks. I have only Macs machines, and run Windows only in virtual machines. I'm working for a company that recently lost a lot of projects files because theirs machines was infected by the WanaCry virus. When comes to security, Windows is a joke.
- Python scripting capabilities. Because a lot of other 3D software packages are using Python as scripting engine will be more easier to learn one language to rule them all. I have python scripting capabilities in other software, Rhino3D, Blender. Aspire and Sketchup... out of luck.
- I need some better extension capabilities as I'm using Aspire professionally and I need something like this capability to be created into a way or another: Individual DXF Batch processor
- Better support for 4th axis rotary machines. Recently I had the opportunity to work with a rotary lathe machine with knifes and I needed to use Artcam just because I was unable to get any output from Aspire for such kind of machines.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Aspire v9.5 wishlist

Post by Adrian »

It's always best to send feature requests directly to support@vectric.com so they can add them to the list. This is primarily a user to user forum and there is no guarantee that your post will be seen by a Vectric staff member.

I doubt you'll see many of those to be honest but you never know.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

zohozer wrote: Because Windows sucks. I have only Macs machines, and run Windows only in virtual machines. I'm working for a company that recently lost a lot of projects files because theirs machines was infected by the WanaCry virus. When comes to security, Windows is a joke.
We generally do not start that sort of conversation around here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion without someone going into a Kool Aid induced tirade.s

I am thrilled you love your Apple products.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

zohozer wrote: - Better support for 4th axis rotary machines. Recently I had the opportunity to work with a rotary lathe machine with knifes and I needed to use other software just because I was unable to get any output from Aspire for such kind of machines.
The machine as you mentioned is a LATHE, not a 4th axis rotary. Improving 4th axis rotary software will do nothing to improve programming the lathe. To my knowledge Vectric has never addressed lathe machinery.

Programming lathes is a way different ballgame than 3 axis machines.

Only speculating here, but I would hazard that the market for cnc lathe software in the woodworking and hobbyist fields is extremely limited.

roy_okc
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 80/20 ~18"x48", Mach 3

Post by roy_okc »

zohozer wrote:- Python scripting capabilities. Because a lot of other 3D software packages are using Python as scripting engine will be more easier to learn one language to rule them all. I have python scripting capabilities in other software, Rhino3D, Blender. Aspire and Sketchup... out of luck.
This would be a very useful new feature!

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

And if it had Python, people would request Lua. It's a no win situation.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

So, why is Python better than Lua?

Or is it?

Anyone here use both of them so we can get a real comparison, beyond the:

Oh, the software down the street has it!!!!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's mainly a case that whichever language software people already have uses they want all the others to have the same.

Now I used to develop a lot of plugins for Sketchup which uses Ruby so I would have preferred Vectric to have gone that route rather than LUA but to be honest all programming languages share the same basic principles so if you can program in one you can program in another. I use 4 on a regular basis and know the same number again a few times a year.

I had never used LUA before Vectric released the gadget interface but I wrote several gadgets a couple of days later. The hardest thing is the geometry and maths rather than the language itself.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Anyone here use both of them so we can get a real comparison
I currently use LUA and Python. I've used dozens of languages over the past three decades. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. It seems the most common language used in programming is... Profanity.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

You are exactly right about that Randy.

I was as pure and innocent as the driven snow, then I learned to program. . . . this little blue cloud used to follow me around.

Let's see, Basic, Basic Pro, Pascal, C, C++, Visual Basic. Yup they have lots of similarities and all have quirks that drive a good man to drink and profanity.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Someone who really loves Python and is fluent in it can write a routine that translates Python scripts into LUA.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

If I wanted to program I wouldn't have bought Aspire. I programed for years (not for machinery), like dungeons and dragons stuff.
Don

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

There is an infamous saying: It is, what it is. . . . .

I always hated that saying.

I programmed for years too, but not D&D stuff, cnc machine stuff. And, I have no urge to program anything anymore and I have not seen a need to do so. Now, if I did, I would find the LUA docs, bone up and dig in. Or, I suppose I could start posting how I think that Aspire should have VB Script embedded so I could have what I am used to.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm guessing most of us senior members have programming experience of some sort. In the DOS days and early Windows days making your own program was often the only way to have a program do what you wanted. My area was 3D wireframe CAD and drivers to send drawings to plotters. Started by hacking the coordinate files generated by microCAD to pop them into 3D and perspective drawings and animated screen views. Then wrote a more intuitive interface that was easier to use. Still have that code listing but can no longer make sense of what I'd done. :(

4D

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

I only got as far as Basic and Fortran, so I'm way behind you guys. Remember punch cards?
Mark
Pioneer, CA