360 Brass

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
weirdbeard
Model of CNC Machine: Jcut

360 Brass

Post by weirdbeard »

Hi All, Hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction

I have a piece of 360 machine brass. Its 25.3mm thick and I want to cut it in half with a 3mm carbide 2 flute end mill. Then I'm hopefully going to start making some badges for my woodwork

So i have worked out from the CNC Cook Book linked below that I need to a spindle speed of 6366RPM and a feed rate of 25IPM (please let me know if this sounds off :? )

What I haven't been able to find is what should the pass depth, step over and plunge rate be set to? (I wont actually be using step over in this example but would still like to set the tool up fully)

From what I've read elsewhere i shouldn't need water cooling on the brass but please yell at me if this is nuts

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

http://www.cnccookbook.com/Calculators/ ... lator.html

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: 360 Brass

Post by highpockets »

I just cut my first piece of brass about a week or so ago, can't say if it was 360 brass, but here are the settings I used.

1/16" 2 fluted end mill, 8500 rpm, 40 ipm, 15 ipm plunge rate. .04 depth of cut per pass. No coolant, just kept the chips brushed out of the way.

I'm sure these numbers are conservative, but I got good chips and didn't break anything.
John
Maker of Chips

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Do you have a band saw with a metal cutting blade.

You don't mention any other dimensions other than thickness. Do you want to cut the 25.3 mm thickness?

Brass doesn't really need coolant. We cut tons of brass in an industrial setting and mostly cut it dry.

High pockets settings sounds good to me

360 is a nice machinable brass alloy
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

weirdbeard
Model of CNC Machine: Jcut

Post by weirdbeard »

Thanks guys, yeah i have a bandsaw but dont have a bi metal blade. I did think about buying one but would prefer to do it in the cnc so its more accurate.
I basically want to resaw a lenght of brass.
Thanks for those settings highpockets ill give them a go ;)