A Einstein esp model

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
basecircle
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark pro

A Einstein esp model

Post by basecircle »

Here is a bust of Albert Einstein.I Made from eps Insulation.He stand's 12x8x7.I sliced the model 4pcs of 2in foam.I cut all the slices using a 1/8 Ball end mill.You can really cook cutting this material.I glued the slices together using the Spray foam.Bond's good .Holding each pc together.Using Duc tape.when dry.I cut off the big chunks of the foam.Then believe me.Not much sanding.(This stuff is messy.filled any holes with foam.More sanding.Then I put a primer on.And guess what.More sanding.Now ready for the finish.Two coats of Sculpt Nouveau Bronze Metal coating.The second coat does the magic.I used a fan brush and dry brushed it on.Made a walnut base and used a two epoxi.to glue the bust to the base.I got the Model off of Thingiverse.I cannot remember the guy that did the original .I plan on making one of Ben Franklin.And more. I hope you like it alot of fun running this. Thanks for looking Basecircle.
Attachments
IMAG0069.jpg
IMAG0070.jpg
IMAG0071.jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: A Einstein esp model

Post by dwilli9013 »

that is awesome. Very nice finish. Thanks for sharing be sure and post the finished project
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Love how that turned out! A little sculpt nouveau and nobody would know the difference - unless they picked it up!

Mike

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Post by scottart »

sweet work, would enjoy seeing the sliced models and components in picture form if you have them.. just to better understand what you did.

basecircle
Vectric Apprentice

Post by basecircle »

let me try this again.Keeps saying to large to post.So I worked it down to 2.If you want the file I will post it for you Basecircle
Attachments
IMAG0050.jpg
this is the model and duc tape clamps
this is the model and duc tape clamps

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Basecircle,

I push wooden toothpicks in at an angle to hold my layers together while gluing. They hold really good and keep everything from shifting around. When the glue dries you can just pull them out and reuse them. The small holes fill in when you put the primer coat on... I use PL 300 foamboard to glue my layers. If your spray foam is the expanding kind the toothpicks may not work...

Mike

basecircle
Vectric Apprentice

Post by basecircle »

Thanks Mike I like the Toothpic.And The pl 300 is the best.I had the great stuff in the shop. I am with you. Thank you Basecircle

Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Post by Will Williamson »

This is Aspiring, great job.
Will Williamson willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan

angelandthebear
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Post by angelandthebear »

cool project! :D

tried to do similar project but can't figure out how to slice model into separate pieces, don't suppose someone could point me in right direction? was trying to do 3d model with undercuts so need to slice vertically and horizontally.

thanks in advance,
the Bear

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

don't suppose someone could point me in right direction?
I can point you in the direction I have previously used. As you have probably already found out, Aspire does not handle undercuts so when you attempt to import a 3d model like Einstein, you can't get the entire 3d model data.

My path to complete the head in the photos was described below. Please note, this process gives you slices that are just an outline of the slice, not any 3d data as Aspire does when you slice. I'm sure there are other ways to handle slicing a 3d model, this is just one.

1) downloaded free software for 3d printing called "slic3r"
2) imported the 3d model
3) rotated, resized, oriented to the size and oriectation I desired
4) save the new file with a new name.stl, this isn't a must, it's just a good idea in case something doesn't work down the line
5) set slic3r layerheight to the height (material thickness) you desire. Remember, this is 3d printing software so you're setting the printing thickness.
For this model I wanted 1/4" thick slices so my layer height was set to 6.35mm (1/4")
6) set nozzle diameter accordingly based upon your desired thicknesss. For my model I set nozzle diameter also to 6.35mm.
None of this is actually used, it is just to get the software to move forward in the process.
7) under File, select slice to SVG, give location and file name for output of the sliced data
8) open new file in Aspire and import the SVG file and there should be the number of layers you planned on with a slice on each layer
9) you can then increase or decrease the size of the "slices"

If you're interested, the model in the photos is alternating layers of acrylic and MDF. I machined all layers with a 1" hole as well as a couple of alignment holes. There will be an acrylic rod with LED's inside of it installed inside the head, it looks really cool with the light emitting on all those layers.
Attachments
tete1j.JPG
tete2j.JPG
tete 3j.JPG

basecircle
Vectric Apprentice

Post by basecircle »

Jimmy A very nice and creative part.The L.E.D s lit up would really make it pop. Basecircle

angelandthebear
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Post by angelandthebear »

Thanks JimmyD! :wink:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Awesome.

I just LOVE all the great ideas we see here.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

PaPaSteve
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by PaPaSteve »

Would you be able to share the Einstien model ?
I'd like to make one too.
Thanks
Steve

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great job. Did you do this on a rotary?
Thank You
Doug