Box lid seating issues.

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
sudo
Model of CNC Machine: CNC SHARK HD4

Box lid seating issues.

Post by sudo »

In Vcarve, Ive made an unusual shaped box. I used a pocket tool path in .25" from the edge to give a place for the lip of the lid to sit, then a deeper pocket tool path to make the inside space of the box. Ill call this part the 'box'.

The lid was made with the same Vectric file, mirrored. I use a pocket tool path to cut the .25 lip on the edge. Ill call this part the 'lid'.

Im having a problem where the box lip profile has rounded edges, and the lid has hard/sharp edges and the two cannot come together because the sharp corners of the lid wont fit into the rounded corners of the box.

By soft/round edges, I mean the tool path reaches a corner and leaves the diameter of the bit.

Im sure the problem is because im cutting from the inside out on the box piece and from the outside in on the lid piece.

I want the lid to fit in the box. Does anyone know a way to cut the outside profile of the lid to have soft/round edges.

Thanks in advance!

sudo

Re: Box lid seating issues.

Post by sudo »

I was thinking and this doesn't need to be an odd shaped box.

If you had a perfectly square box this issue would persist. Cutting the pocket from the box portion would leave rounded corners. Cutting the lid from the outside in would leave sharp. Im sure someone here has a great solution.

Thanks again :)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You can't cut a sharp inside corner with a round bit :lol: :lol:

If it is just for the lid to fit in a recess on the box then I would just radius the corners to what ever size bit you are using & have rounded corners on both parts, a screen shot of what you are doing would be helpful & I am sure one of the board experts will have a good answer for you :lol: :lol: :lol:

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Yep. You can't cut sharp inside corners with a cylindrical bit.

I love the fillet tool for just this reason. Any positive shape I've drawn that will eventually be mirrored for a negative fit gets all sharp corners filleted (rounded over) the same radius as the bit I'll be using to cut it out with has. Your other options is to go back in after CNCing with a chisel to manually square out the rounded inside corners.

4D

sudo

Post by sudo »

Many thanks