English Garden Bench

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

English Garden Bench

Post by TReischl »

Not sure if they call these "English" garden benches in England?

Most of the work was done on the CNC, contouring the legs, cutting mortises, etc.

One of the great things about CNC is that there is very little, if any, guess work. This project came from WoodSmith No. 45. Fitting the arms to the legs was described as a fairly complicated procedures, but with CNC, the parts are just laid out and things fit, the first time.

A really handy feature in Aspire is the "dogbone" fillets. Makes fitting up mortise and tenons much, much easier.

The bench is built from pressure treated southern yellow pine, the legs are a glue up rather than a 4 X 4 post. The picture was taken after the primer coat was applied. Eventually it will be painted a medium blue color.

Ahhh, the most important part! I was paid exactly one German Chocolate cake complete with coconut/pecan frosting for this effort. It don't get much better than that!
Bench2.jpg
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: English Garden Bench

Post by dwilli9013 »

Really like that one simple old world charm.
Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Looks wonderful! Nice project!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I was paid exactly one German Chocolate cake complete with coconut/pecan frosting
Can you post a photo of the cake?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Rcnewcomb wrote:
I was paid exactly one German Chocolate cake complete with coconut/pecan frosting
Can you post a photo of the cake?
Ummmmm.......what cake?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Looks great. Nicely done.

I enjoy using the fillet tool, but rarely use the dogbone options. If I cut a mortise that ends up with inside radius corners then I also cut the tenon to have the same radiused corners. In fact I almost always use the same vectors for both and just add a little -allowance to the mortise cut. Helps me to have an adjustable angle jig on my CNC so I can clamp parts anywhere from vertical to horizontal.

4D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

4D: I do the same quite often, I have a fixture that sits on the front of my machine for doing tenons. Works great.

Only one problem. . .once the piece is more than about 36 inches long it is not possible to use it. Unless I want to jack up the machine to the ceiling.

Also, some of the parts on that bench are a bit on the large side, 2.5 square. A radial arm saw with a dado blade cuts them MUCH faster than chewing around the tenon in multiple passes. The tenons on the bench are mostly over 1 inch long.

What I DID do though..... I used the machine to layout the angled arm tenons while it was on the machine getting the mortises cut. That made it extremely easy to set up the angle on the RAS.

I don't do many chair type things so designing and building a tenon fixture for the machine that has an adjustable angle is not high on my list of things to do.

I did a project a while back, I think I posted here, that had like 60 mortise and tenons. They were small pieces so I used the fixture. It was great! I put a stool in front of the machine and just sat there pumping out a tenon about every 45 seconds. Also, I much prefer to do it that way since it eliminates the problem of varying stock thickness inherent in other cutting techniques.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Very nice, would like something like that in my garden, problem is finding the time to make one :lol: :lol:

Only one problem. . .once the piece is more than about 36 inches long it is not possible to use it. Unless I want to jack up the machine to the ceiling.

Just dig a big hole in the floor Ted, much simpler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh & I think we just call them Garden Benches :lol: :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Not very original Martin. . . nope. You stole the idea, and I know where you stole it from.

I was over your way about 20 years ago. Went in this old pub, really old. They had dug a trench for the dart players to stand in. Unique to say the least. And no, I was not stupid enough to start playing darts with those guys.

Here is what I could do though! Reconfigure the machine so it hangs from the ceiling!

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Or remount the spindle/router to a horizontal position, then with a post processor swap of Y and Z coordinates cut the end of parts as long as you can make room in front of your machine. ;)

Otherwise when tasked with making long benches, simply make two shorter ones so all the parts/joinery can be cut on the CNC. ;)

4D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

There is a guy here in town who mounted his CNC on the wall, like a panel saw. He counter balanced the bridge and it all seems to work well. He just did not have the floor space. Kind of an added advantage is that all the chips fall to the floor.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Like this Guy did Ted, I know Dean from one of the build websites so instantly thought of this when you mentioned someone near you doing it :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks Martin, appreciate that link.