Circle Projecting

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
CCSpec
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Standard 96x48

Circle Projecting

Post by CCSpec »

I have a customer wanting me to cut a circle template for him that he will lay on a curved metal tank that will give him a perfect circle to insert a round pipe into the curved tank. I know the template will be an oval for the distortion of the circle across the curved surface. Does anyone know if Aspire has a gadget for this, or know of a formula for calculating the size of the oval template.
Thanks in advance,
Bob III

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Circle Projecting

Post by 4DThinker »

A few drafting tricks, the measuring tool, and the resizing tool can create the flat oval shape you'll need. If you can post the diameter of the two pipes I'll post a file of how I would do it. Does the smaller pipe intersect at 90 degree and centered on the larger pipe? If not then the angle and intersection point will be needed.

4D

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Try this tube notching template generator.
http://www.blocklayer.com/pipe-notching.aspx
It should allow you to cut a dummy pipe with the correct edge profile on it, then he can scribe the exact shape needed for the penetration hole.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If the intersection is on center and at 90 to the target tube you will get an "oval" shape. Otherwise, you get all sorts of other shapes. Like the following:
Capture.JPG
This is from a program I wrote about a hundred years ago or so. Notice that there are TWO intersections, one on the outside and one on the inside. If he is inserting a tube then welding he may actually need the INSIDE intersection, not the outer. Here is why:
Capture.JPG
BTW, the program was for rotary axis cutting on a laser. Normally a LOT more segments are generated, but I cut it down so we could see what is going on.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns