Open Vector will not close in Cut2D

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
ggagnon

Open Vector will not close in Cut2D

Post by ggagnon »

I imported a file with ai format produced with some modeling software software.
Immediately after import Selected Vectors reports: Closed : 14 and Open:55
Vectors after joining: Closed 0 and Open 7. Whatever Tolerance values.
There is no way to close those seven vectors :shock: What can cause those vectors to behave like that?
What can I do to get rid of those Open vectors?
Regards,
Gaston

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

some may not close because the ends are not close enough. but also there may be lines and junk your not seeing that will not close. I get this stuff a lot when importing. invisible lines that if you select all you get it but can't see it. I find selecting each part one at a time You may find they are fine and you can group them and move them to another layer and select all and hit delete.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Gaston,
welcome to the forum!

If you would like to mail me the AI file, I will take a look at it for you and see if I can make some suggestions.

support (at) vectric (dot) com

Mark

Paco
Vectric Wizard

Post by Paco »

This is my understanding of how 'Join' and 'Close' function work; you can only close ONE selected vector at a time. If you have more than one selected vector, you need to join them first before closing the assembly. You cannot join more than two selected vector at a time as well. It may seem odd but it actually make sense. If you want to join more than two vectors, there's the 'Join open vectors' but it work on a specific range so it may not close what's joined.

You sound like you have some kind of artifacts that you wish to get rid of to enable toolpathing (pockets, V Carving...). You first need to sort and clean those out.

Hope that help.

ggagnon

Post by ggagnon »

[knighttoolworks]
>you can group them and move them to another layer
How can you move things from one layer to another layer in Cut2D?

[Mark]
Thank you for welcoming :)
I looked in help document but did not find anything on how to deal with vectors. In Node Edit Mode I see black, blue, green dots: what can I do with them?
Is there anything anywhere on How To and Why on the vectors editing?

knighttoolworks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shobot 48x96

Post by knighttoolworks »

Paco wrote:This is my understanding of how 'Join' and 'Close' function work; you can only close ONE selected vector at a time. If you have more than one selected vector, you need to join them first before closing the assembly. You cannot join more than two selected vector at a time as well. It may seem odd but it actually make sense. If you want to join more than two vectors, there's the 'Join open vectors' but it work on a specific range so it may not close what's joined.

You sound like you have some kind of artifacts that you wish to get rid of to enable toolpathing (pockets, V Carving...). You first need to sort and clean those out.

Hope that help.
you can use close open vectors to close a bunch of them. finally found that button after a year (G)
but it only works if no ends need moved and no gaps are present and such.

on nodes the green is the start point black are normal nodes.

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Gaston,

I have taken a look at your file, the reason that you could not close
the vectors, is that there are some duplicate lines and lots of near duplicate lines.
I am guessing that these also exist in the original some modeling software design.
The first step to cleaning these up is to use the "Select all duplicate vectors" tool from Main Menu Bar > Edit.
Once you have selected the duplicates, press delete on your keyboard.
However, this is only a part of the clean-up required for the file that you sent me.
There are a lot of "nearly" duplicate lines that also need to be deleted.
You just need to select these one by one and delete them.
Once you have deleted the unwanted vectors, you can choose to join the remaining vectors.

As regards node editing, it is covered in the help file
file:///C:/Fichiers%20de%20programmes/Cut2D%20V1/Help/Index.htm#node_edit
(The link should hopefully work if you copy and paste it to your browser, I have assumed that you have a french language copy of Windows)
But idealy, with Cut2D, your designs should be fully designed in your CAD package, before importing in the design.

I have emailed your file to you with the deletions.
I hope that this helps.

Mark.

ggagnon

Post by ggagnon »

Thank you Mark and all,
The cleanup procedure works fine except maybe for one thing:
If two vectors are superimposed how do reach the bottom one to either inspect or delete?

Gaston