Too much texture

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
oldwood
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45

Too much texture

Post by oldwood »

Hello everyone,

I am trying to produce a texture panel using the texture tool-path in Aspire 8.5 and based on the settings in this video.

It is the first texture in the video I am trying to make. I am looking for a smooth flowing texture like the ones in the video but mine has ridges where the cut is shallowest. I have included a preview image from Aspire that shows the ridges and the machined mdf shows the same ridges. I have included a screen shot of the settings in the video and my settings for the preview posted.

If someone could clue me into what is causing the ridges it would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:

TIA,
Gerry
Attachments
ridged textures.jpg
video settings.jpg
my settings.jpg

oldwood

Re: Too much texture

Post by oldwood »

It looks like the video was running an older version of the software but I don't know if the program updates are causing the ridges or if it is some setting? Quite a puzzle!

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello Gerry,

Same issue here with V8.514b. Just downloaded patch v8517 and tried again, without success.

But our settings were not the same as in the video: I tried with the same height and width than in the video and everything was OK.

I don't have time to get a closer look right now, but I guess the length of the board in the texture direction has to be a certain multiple of the max cut length to get a 50% offset between 2 "lines". I don't see any information about that in the manual at first glance.

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

To me, it looks like an illusion, depending on the direction the pattern is viewed.
Here's mine at close to the same angle as the video and one image straight on.

Michael
Attachments
textyre.JPG
textyre 2.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

So I forgot to answer the question as to why it does that..
Reason being is because the cut is generated by the length entered ( 9")
After it runs the 9" it will slightly retract in the Z axis. ( see attached picture )

Michael
Attachments
textyre 3.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

mezalick wrote:To me, it looks like an illusion, depending on the direction the pattern is viewed.

Michael
Yes, I forgot to mention that: the ridge is still there. It is probably an optical effect, but it seems less noticeable when you have a perfect alternation of the lines, as in Vectric video and your example, as the opposite of Gerry test and my first try.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

oldwood

Post by oldwood »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Hello Gerry,

Same issue here with V8.514b. Just downloaded patch v8517 and tried again, without success.

But our settings were not the same as in the video: I tried with the same height and width than in the video and everything was OK.

I don't have time to get a closer look right now, but I guess the length of the board in the texture direction has to be a certain multiple of the max cut length to get a 50% offset between 2 "lines". I don't see any information about that in the manual at first glance.

HTH
Hi LGM,

When you say "But our settings were not the same as in the video: I tried with the same height and width than in the video and everything was OK."

Which dimensions for height and width are you referring to? I thought I had my settings the same as in the video.

Thanks,
Gerry

oldwood

Post by oldwood »

mezalick wrote:To me, it looks like an illusion, depending on the direction the pattern is viewed.

Michael
Hi Micheal,

The ridges show up on the piece that is cut just like you see in the preview I posted. I agree that they don't show when looking down the length of the cut. When running the file the router does lift off after each 9" cut. In the video Rob at 3.42 talks about how smooth the transition is that he is getting and seems to indicate there is no ridge at the transition.

LGM mentioned a width and height setting that was not the same and as you mentioned it could be and issue of the relationship between the length of the panel and the length of the cut.

Thanks,
Gerry

oldwood

Post by oldwood »

Hi,

I tried redoing the texture with 27" as the length of panel and it did make the pattern align so it looks like the are offset in length by 50% but the ridge is still there.

If Rob had not gone out of his way to mention how smooth the transition was at the peak I would think this was not possible but I think I am missing something in the setup.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
It is greatly appreciated,

Gerry

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Gerry,

I was referring to the material size.

As the texture toopath generates strokes and not a continuous smooth toolpath, these ridges are part of the process. See Michael's explanations.

To get the same kind of texture without ridges, I'd draw some sinusoidal vectors and use a vcarve toolpath with a large ballnose tool.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

oldwood

Post by oldwood »

LittleGreyMan wrote:Gerry,

I was referring to the material size.

As the texture toopath generates strokes and not a continuous smooth toolpath, these ridges are part of the process. See Michael's explanations.

To get the same kind of texture without ridges, I'd draw some sinusoidal vectors and use a vcarve toolpath with a large ballnose tool.
I think what is confusing me is that Rob in the video talks about how smooth the transition is but maybe I am just misinterpreting what he is saying.

I guess as you say v-carving based on some sinusoidal vectors, I thought I was going to avoid having to do all that work by using the texture toolpath.

Thanks,
Gerry

oldwood

Post by oldwood »

Just to add some closure to this discussion I tracked down the original thread that prompted Rob to post the video I referenced in this thread.
http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php? ... ht=texture

In that thread Rob does say there is a ridge on the high points so as LGM suggested I will need to v-carve vectors I produce to get a truly flowing cut.

Thanks,
Gerry