This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
MartinU
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Creating a model plane canopy blank.

Post by MartinU »

Funtana canopy [no bmp].crv3d
(52.5 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
:?: :?:
Well I've tried for some time and am failing so I though I'd see if anyone can help..... please.

I an trying to make a wooden plug for a model airplane canopy, that I can then make vac formed versions from drink [soda] bottles.
I have the scan of the model with profiles and plan view.
These went into Aspire and created vectors for the plan, profile and 5 slices across the profile.
Well and I imagined I'd be able to complete a 2 rail sweep to create the canopy shape.
Then slice the model and create in Ply.

Well that was the intent. Boy did I get some strange shapes.
Has anyone done something similar and can you outline the steps you took as I'm sure I'm doing something very stupid :-(
I've uploaded the file, I had to delete the bitmap layer as the file was too big., my 3D version went so bad I backed out of it :-(

Thanks Very Much

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Creating a model plane canopy blank.

Post by SteveNelson46 »

MartinU wrote:
The attachment Funtana canopy [no bmp].crv3d is no longer available
:?: :?:
Well I've tried for some time and am failing so I though I'd see if anyone can help..... please.

I an trying to make a wooden plug for a model airplane canopy, that I can then make vac formed versions from drink [soda] bottles.
I have the scan of the model with profiles and plan view.
These went into Aspire and created vectors for the plan, profile and 5 slices across the profile.
Well and I imagined I'd be able to complete a 2 rail sweep to create the canopy shape.
Then slice the model and create in Ply.

Well that was the intent. Boy did I get some strange shapes.
Has anyone done something similar and can you outline the steps you took as I'm sure I'm doing something very stupid :-(
I've uploaded the file, I had to delete the bitmap layer as the file was too big., my 3D version went so bad I backed out of it :-(

Thanks Very Much
Were you looking for something like this? The canopy stays were made of short line segments so I ungrouped and joined them to make arcs. I also cut the outside shape into just the two rails, top and bottom, and used them as drive rails for the 2-rail sweep. Selected each shape and inserted it at the intersection of the top rail.
Attachments
Funtana canopy [no bmp]-1.crv3d
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 196 times
Funtana Canopy.png
Steve

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Were you looking for something like this? The canopy stays were made of short line segments so I ungrouped and joined them to make arcs. I also cut the outside shape into just the two rails, top and bottom, and used them as drive rails for the 2-rail sweep. Selected each shape and inserted it at the intersection of the top rail.
Hi Steve,

You're getting on the right track. I think he wants something like the photo attached...
Attachments
funtana-canopy.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

mtylerfl wrote:
SteveNelson46 wrote:
Hi Steve,

You're getting on the right track. I think he wants something like the photo attached...
I just used the shapes that he provided to get him on the right track. Didn't think it would be perfect.
Steve

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I had to give it a try.

Wasn't sure how close it was since you can't do undercuts so I pulled it into a graphics program to get the undercuts.
Image 001.jpg
Image 002.jpg
canopy.png
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

MartinU wrote:
The attachment Funtana canopy [no bmp].crv3d is no longer available
I have the scan of the model with profiles and plan view...
Hi Martin,

Did you ever figure this out?

When you say you have a "scan of the model", do you mean you have a 3D scan version? (hopefully you do, because that would help to make accurate vector contours)

The vectors in your file seem pretty much all wrong to me. Besides the issues of blocky line segments instead of Bezier curves plus being grouped vectors, I don't think your slices match up to the end result you are after. The slice height dimensions don't match your profile line drawing side view dimensions.

I think if you can get accurate slice contour representations/dimensions you could do a series of 2-rail sweeps as merged-joined sections (there is a tutorial on that - I'll try to find the link). I played a little this morning with your existing vectors (after cleaning up) and the result is poor.

As an experiment, I drew a few of my own contour and sweep vectors that more closely matched your profile drawing dimensions. I used just three contour vectors as a 2-rail sweep (medium, high and low curves) and got a fairly decent result. (I did NOT do the merge-section technique for my experiment...just a simple, normal sweep. I think if you need accurate contours you WILL need to do it in sections.)
Attachments
canopy-side-view.jpg
trimmed-canopy-iso-view.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Michael,
Why does your model turn out so much smoother between contour vectors?
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

highpockets wrote:Michael,
Why does your model turn out so much smoother between contour vectors?
Hi,

I didn't do anything special. I just used three contour vectors - a medium height one at the top of the sweeps, a higher one near the middle, and a really short one at the bottom as shown in the attached screenshot. Oh, and I did NOT activate the "Scale cross sections with width" in the Two-Rail Sweep menu. I unchecked it to turn it off.
Attachments
with-arrows_trimmed-canopy-iso-view.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

MartinU

Post by MartinU »

Hi All
Wow thanks very much all. :D :D
I can see some of what I missed.
The scans I have are only of the model plan and not 3D [oh I would love a 3D scanner!]
My best result looks a bit like Steve's but I'm after something like Micahel's [mtylerfl] - any chance you could share the Vectric file? I have a drop box we could use.

My target today is to refine my cross sections are research merging/joining sections.

I thought this was a simpleish process but clearly it is a bt more than that.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

I'll send you the file (I'll clear off the "trash" vectors and leave the ones actually used).

I DO have a 3D scanner (the NextEngine laser scanner). I can easily scan the original canopy if you want to send it to me. That way you'll for sure have an exact duplicate.

You can use the Contact Form on my website to communicate with me directly. carvebuddy.com
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

sseale
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by sseale »

Is the merging/joining sections covered in a tips and tricks video, or in one of the Aspire tutorials?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Oh, let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: The Tutorial I was thinking of is on the 2012 Vectric User Group DVD. James B. did an extensive tutorial series of the two-rail sweep features. The one where he shows the technique of "sectioned sweeps" is entitled "Complex Sweep Paths - Instrument Scroll". The Aspire user interface and application of rail sweeps has changed a lot since then (although the basic principles are the same), so I don't think that tutorial is still available publicly. If I locate another, comparable tutorial, I'll post the link. Maybe someone else knows of something comparable?
Attachments
sectioned-rail-sweeps.jpg
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Beki made a tutorial on two-rail sweeps you may find useful. She describes each of the sweep features in good detail and demonstrates the "new normal" way of using multiple cross sections in the two-rail sweep to create so-called "sectioned" shapes (all merging smoothly together into one). Pay particular attention to details during the tutorial, such as when it's appropriate to activate (or not activate) the "Sweep Between Spans" checkbox.

Here is the link:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... 3DMOD.html
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

farmertom
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by farmertom »

Hi,
I have been making plugs for my current rc model airplane. I use Aspire 8.5 to cut the plugs but have found that I need another CAD package to build truly detailed models. Aspire is a great CAM software package. I am looking for others who build rc airplanes with Aspire/ Cut3D where we could help and scare ideas. Let me know if I can help you. Attached are some plugs I am currently working on.
Attachments
Plugs for current rc model airplane
Plugs for current rc model airplane

MartinU

Post by MartinU »

Hi Tom
As you will see from my post I am a aero modeller and CNC /Aspire user.
I'd be interested in swapping ideas.

Martin