I'm Missing Something

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
bantascreek
Model of CNC Machine: 3040 CNC Router Engraver

I'm Missing Something

Post by bantascreek »

Hi All,

Well, where to begin? Oh, yea I don't have a clue as to what I am doing. I have my CNC router setup and can jog it around using Mach3 with no problem. I can make some sort of basic square or specific drawing with several tool paths using Cut2D, get the file into Mach3 and it will run but it seems to be running in what I'd call less than full scale. I made a lay out to make pocket holes in a 3/4 inch MFD spoil board and the router just wasn't traveling far enough to be making the the holes in the correct locations.

I'm pretty sure I have all of the settings in inches and not a mix of both metric and inches. I've never ran the spindle with a bit in it to cut yet because I'm not satisified that it's moving and traveling as it should. Any suggestions or guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: I'm Missing Something

Post by highpockets »

Make sure you are using the proper Post Processor for your machine.
John
Maker of Chips

bantascreek

Post by bantascreek »

Highpockets,

Thanks for the post. I want to be sure of what you are telling me. Do you mean machine or software as in Mach3? I thought, I had it correct but something is defiantly askew.

Jerry

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

The post processor is that which you choose to process your work from Vectric or other programs. It is usually the name of your particular machine. Generally the post processor you chose will offer the options of mm or inches and you have to be careful to choose the PP that is right for your machine. Pay particular attention to the offerings because many of them contain the option for an automatic tool changer ATC in the title. Chose the appropriate processor for your machine and you should be in business and ready to CNC your works. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

bantascreek

Post by bantascreek »

Okay, I totally understand what I have been told. I am sure that not having chosen the correct post processor is causing my issue. However, I have one of the eBay 3040 routers without much documentation. Can anyone offer up a suggestion as to which post processor might work?

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

bantascreek wrote:Okay, I totally understand what I have been told. I am sure that not having chosen the correct post processor is causing my issue. However, I have one of the eBay 3040 routers without much documentation. Can anyone offer up a suggestion as to which post processor might work?
At that point I would say look at the ones that offer an NC or TXT post option. Heck for the time invested just try out several which are offered and settle on the one that works for your particular setup. That is the great thing about the vectric software experimenting with the different post processors and the preview options cost you nothing but the time invested. I am sure there is something that will work for you just have to preview and test. Once you hit the one that works for your setup you will be on your way. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The PP (post processor) is chosen when you go through the process of saving the toolpath to a file. It generates the file that tells the CNC driver how to move the tool. Name the file to indicate which PP you selected.

To make the process of selecting a PP faster, make a file that just consists of a 10" square and use it for an air cut. Those post processors that work the best can be further tested to see which one works best.

A square with a slight offset of 1/16" can be used to generate a Vbit toolpath, which can be examined to see which works best.

Watch this tutorial for more information: http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... ar_GS.html Watch the other tutorials for additional help.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Jerry states in the original post he is using Mach3 ....
bantascreek wrote:
.... I have my CNC router setup and can jog it around using Mach3 with no problem.
So he should be using the "Mach2/3 Arcs (inch) *.txt" to get started with.
bantascreek wrote: ...
but it seems to be running in what I'd call less than full scale.
If the files aren't coming out at the correct size it probably means that the unit values in Mach3 aren't setup correctly for the machine and these need to be set correctly using the setup procedure for Mach.

Generally unless there is a mismatch between inches and mm in the post and the machine, very few post mismatches would lead to incorrect job size cutting. Nearly all the posts are variations of G-Code and the actual numeric values for the cutting moves are output the same for the X and Y moves with the only major difference being if the post is in mm or inches. If there is an inch/mm mismatch in what the post outputs and the machine expects there is a factor of 25.4 difference in size rather than just a small amount.

Brian

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You say you've jogged the machine around but have you told it to move a fixed distance and then measured how far it's actually moved? It could be that the motor tuning/steps is not right in Mach3.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

You say you've jogged the machine around but have you told it to move a fixed distance and then measured how far it's actually moved? It could be that the motor tuning/steps is not right in Mach3.
To elaborate a little more on what Adrian is saying, it sounds like you need to Calibrate the motor steps. To do that, go into Settings and at the bottom of the page is the "Set Steps per Unit" Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Before you do anything, in Mach3, go to Config > Select Native Units, and make sure it is set to the correct units.

After that, configure the steps per unit so that the machine moves the correct distance. Close and restart Mach3 when it is correct.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

bantascreek

Post by bantascreek »

Guys, thanks so much for all of the responses. I'm thrilled and somewhat overwhelmed with all of your efforts to help, I do greatly appreciate it. I will work through each response and suggestion ASAP and will update my progress. I have to admit when setting this up it was quite a challenge to get it to move for the first time. I was bound and determined to get it to work or should I say move/jog without asking for help. However, I knew this issue was out of my ability to figure out on my own without some help from the experts. Thanks very much again.