can anyone help coverting to dfx

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: can anyone help coverting to dfx

Post by dwilli9013 »

No criticism necessary Doug. I actually had a good time swapping files with HP. The ultimate outcome is all that matters and it seems as though you have that well under control. I like your final take. It should serve the department well and get the point across at the same time.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Always room for critique, especially between eagle eyed nitpickers like us !

I am my own worse critic and I'll prove it:

I would like to fill the inner circle of the emblem, but all the vectors are split up due to the intersecting points of the badge, would be a PITA to node edit it into pocketing shape.
Also am wondering why I made the fonts in the last sentence so much smaller, almost as if its an afterthought and less important than the rest.
Yes, the sentence is longer and needs to be a bit smaller to keep it in scale, but I think I should make it a tad larger.

Could also make the emblem a bit larger, and keep the space between the state profile and left edge even.

The "Tomorrows Leaders Today" lettering in the emblem looks awkward & crowded, but I think its a case of it is what it is. It is against a backdrop of lines and designs [which looks fine on a color drawing], only so much I can do with it in a 2D etch and it should stand out Ok once etched.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Probably final revisions - All I talked about [except inner circle] and improved stars
Attachments
flaex1.jpg
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Looks good Doug.

Is it going to be edge lit or vcarved in wood?
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Edge lit, would not think of doing a design like this in wood.

Size will be 10x12" and I am going to make a custom base made of blue corian instead of the usual mdf
Doug

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

The words "Explorers Association" doesn't seem to follow the curve of the badge and the word "Tommorrow's" isn't central to the star.
In the last sentence, if you were to remove the word "For" , would that allow the font to be larger?

BDM
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BDM »

More importantly, tommorrow's should have one 'm' and two 'r' like the (correct) original.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Since you are welcoming critics......

"Tomorrows Leaders Today"

Since that is just mish mashing with all the carving under it, rendering the text illegible for the most part... Maybe if you put a rectangle around the Leaders thing and cut off all the lettering, etc that is in the rectangle so that the Leaders thing really stands out. If you think about it, that is really the message, not the stuff underneath.

And, this is where I get real nit picky (I have a license, I am over 65). It is not DFX. It is:

Data eXchange Format. DXF.

A quick google search does not turn up any known file type of dfx. I know, it is much, much easier to speak dfx than dxf. It sort of rolls off the tongue much nicer.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Data eXchange Format. DXF.

A quick google search does not turn up any known file type of dfx. I know, it is much, much easier to speak dfx than dxf. It sort of rolls off the tongue much nicer.

Maybe he was thinking Digital effects DFX :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry had to do it. After all we are all just working on 3DFX :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I worked on the eagles head a little. I'm no artist but I think it looks a little better.
Attachments
FSEA-1.crv3d
(250.5 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Steve

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Good eyes people.
I was having problems with the lettering following the curve in the circle, indeed.
"Wrap text along curve" works well enough, but doesn't seem to be an easy way to move it to the correct location once wrapped, so I jigged it/resized it/pulled it best as I could and it is noticeably flawed.

Good catch on "tommorow", thats one of those words I don't think I'll ever spell right - And the centering does leaves something to be desired.

I'm thinking the text will look ok and stand out even against the mish mash of lines , tough to tell until its done.
If it were me I think I'd omit the text there all together, or place it off to the side somewhere. The badge emblem is a centerpiece and really should not be ad hoc modified like that IMO.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Probably final revisions.

Spelling correction, made the 1st sentence smaller and 2nd sentence larger and italicized on request.
Inserted improved eagle [thanks], and adjusted a slight wobble in FLA outline itself. Got rid of period at the end of last sentence, didn't seem appropriate.

Looks almost perfect except for the bottom text in circle, the more I mess with it the worse it looks so I'll leave well enough alone.
Attachments
fsea5.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Got it done today, about 1.5 hrs on the table, not too bad. County names are even legible though you have to squint to read them.
Used a drag bit and combined profile/pocket toolpaths.

Corian base was easy to make, installing the lighting goes quickly for me. All in all a bit over 2 hrs on this one, came out really nice.
Attachments
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Doug that came out fantastic!
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Tis nice, if I dare say so myself.

Only thing I'd pick apart is the slight darkening on the edges.
This is the result of the 2 stepped slot I use in order to avoid having the plexi sit right on the lights. Though the slot is 10" total like the plexi, there is only 9" in usable slot LED floor space [.5 on either side is elevated], so the strip is shorter than the plexi [if that makes any sense].

Don't think that will be much of a factor though, lights up nice all the way to the top, and the middle lettering in the badge that I was concerned about mushing in stands out fine.
Regret not taking the time to pocket that inner circle, other than that I am pleased with the result. Nice to see something come out from concept to reality in short order.
Doug