why does my g-code have A.D.D?

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
Timr
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna iq hhc

why does my g-code have A.D.D?

Post by Timr »

i am using cut 3d to mill 12 tool handles out of a 6"x 32" blank. the roughing pass takes just over 2 hours but i estimate more than half of that time the spindle is traveling from one side of the blank to the other - cutting small amounts in random areas at a time and then traveling back and forth from one end to the other.

anybody know why the g code does this? is there a way to export the g code so it doesn't waste so much time ?

tx

Laguna iq hhc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: why does my g-code have A.D.D?

Post by Adrian »

On the roughing toolpath? As far as I know it skips the areas that are too fine to be roughed and, because the roughing toolpath is multi-pass, it will machine everything at the same z-level before moving down.

kyeakel
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger STV4800

Post by kyeakel »

There are utilities on the web to optimize G-code. I haven't tried them on actual cutting, but they seem to work when viewed from a simulator. I had an issue with the code produced for my indexer, the roughing pass would traverse the entire length of the turning and if the depth of cut was the same as the last path, it would skim over the area. I think it should have done a rapid past this section as no further cutting was necessary. I wrote a windows program to alter the g-code to skip these areas. The original code was 176k lines, my updated code is 56k lines, resulting in substantial time savings. I think the way to achieve this in vectric programs is to isolate cuts with vector boundaries and change the machining limit boundary to selected vector. Also, isn't there a use vector section order option? I think this would force it to create the paths you want.

Kipp
CAMaster Stinger 1
Shopbot PRT 9648
STV4800
Aspire
Cut2d,Cut2dLaser

Timr

Post by Timr »

Thank you Kipp.

You are way ahead of me regarding modifying the gcode! The 'use vector section order option' is interesting, though - is that in my Cut3D software?

Thanks!

Tim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Vector boundaries, vector selection order etc is not something that is available in Cut3D. You would need VCarve or Aspire.

Timr

Post by Timr »

Thanks Adrian. Looks like I will need to upgrade...

Tim