Dust Collector Mods

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Dust Collector Mods

Post by Xxray »

I love the idea of getting rid of the bag, never thought of that ,,, 5 gal bucket don't think would suffice for me.
Not that it would quickly fill, with the separator it shouldn't fill much at all. I would need some kind of funneled air tight reducer to mate with the bottom of the filter housing and the bucket, and its hard to picture anything [not involving a roll of duct tape and foil] that would do the job.

I'm thinking more of a cutoff barrel, diameter seems to be more in the ballpark, in addition to increased capacity.

Only thing I would actually miss about the bag is the view, I like to watch the windstorm sometimes.

Bag clamp is super easy BTW, just a spring ratchet strap deal that easily snaps into tension.
Can be a pain hoping the little side clips will hold the bag long enough to get the strap on - For that, duct tape is indeed your friend.
I've gone 1.5 years and never touched the bag, looked to be maybe 3-4 gallons of dust in all that time ,,, But of course, my system was hobbled for months with a clogged filter and I thought the motor was dying, so haven't even used it much past half a year or so.

But in practice, the separator gets emptied "often", depending on use of course ,,, And the bag, even with heavy use, would not need to be messed with much at all - Assuming the separator is doing its job correctly.
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice Doug, I like that it modular as well as compact. Just looks like a continuous run with the band saw. Good flow for a clean look.
Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Must say, I am a freak for organization and making use of available space - But considering what I have hogging up half of my garage, I have to be !
Attachments
IMG_1867.JPG
Doug

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

Mine is an old Delta with a home made Thein Baffle added. Really happy with it.

Came across a trick when changing the plastic bag because you really need about 5 hands to do it...

Put the bag in place, and snap a RE magnet on it in one place. Pull it how you want it, add another magnet. Keep going until you have the bag in place, and then VERY EASILY use your two hand to install the clamp. Eased a lot of frustration 8)
Attachments
Dust collector.jpg
Dust Collector-2.JPG

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Xxray wrote:Must say, I am a freak for organization and making use of available space - But considering what I have hogging up half of my garage, I have to be !
ahhh for a bit of the firebird 400 fever. Nice I need more pictures would be appropriate.
Muscle rules others drool. Show me the love Doug.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Xxray wrote:Must say, I am a freak for organization and making use of available space - But considering what I have hogging up half of my garage, I have to be !
Oh my with the factory tach and all. SCHWEET. Would love to hear more about this as it progresses.
:P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Few more pics of The Beast as requested.

Haven't had it on the road in a few years, no particular reason. Cranks and runs just fine, bound to be a few problems after sitting a few years. Completely redid the brakes this year, did everything from the master cylinder on out. Body work needs to be done, just put on a new vinyl top a few years ago, frame and floors are solid. Top was a royal pain, replaced the cracked rear window while I was doing that. Interior is near mint, I made a few custom mods like the wood dash components that I know purists would freak out over.

Hopefully will see some road time this year, if not she looks purty just as she sits.
Attachments
SAM_0042.JPG
SAM_0044.JPG
SAM_0054.JPG
Doug

jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by jhowelb »

Thanks for the photos, Xxray !

If your space problem seems daunting, consider this. My garage space is limited to that 4' wide step up at the front of a two car garage but I must share that with a doorway and an up right freezer. The garage contains two cars and two rows of shelving, one on each wall.

In this environment I cant move anything nor am I capable of rolling things about. That begs the question, "Why not mount things on shelves off the floor?"

Then I ran across this build on You Tube and captured a screenshot for our edification and perusal.

Now I am really thinking of it but wondering just how would I get the motor/blower unit up there?
Attachments
Snapshot 1 (1-18-2017 8-22 AM).png

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Yeah, I know some guys got it worse than me as far as space, I just accept it as a fact of life and deal with it the best I can.
68 is a queen and has priority, everything else works around her. I feel bad its sitting collecting dust, but at least its indoors ,,, And its really not too bad. I have space on each side that I can work in, and when/if I ever move the Bird I'd be dazzled by all that space.

Motor is very heavy but nothing that 2 guys couldn't hoist and handle. When I mistakenly thought my motor was shot and got a new one, I lugged the box out of the store with a lift but lugged it into my truck my myself, and also lugged it into my garage without any help.
When I found out my motor was fine and had to return the new one, I did call in some help to lift it back in my truck, considering all the obstructions and that I would be going against gravity.
The box of course includes not only the motor but the cart, brackets ect so is quite a bit heavier than just the motor. I can say this, the new motor is a bit smaller and lighter than the one I got 1.5 years ago.
But I am a heavy lifter, we all have our varies abilities and limits, so for most I would advise 2 strong guys in good shape to heft the motor in place.
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well my 2 cents. As an Enginerd I would design up a block & tackle and then cut it out on my CNC :lol: :lol: :lol: But....................
After reading this thread and getting a plethora of ideas I would definitely save my back by picking up a come along at Harbor Freight the same time I got my HF dust collector. :lol: :lol: :lol: Now that my back is saved I have that much more time for CNCing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Xxray, This is the bottom end of the filter showing the MDF ring and gasket seal for the 5-gal bucket. In my first pic you can see a thick piece of board that slides out to allow the bucket to drop down for removal. So no air leakage.

BTW, I had a 1970 1/2 Formula Firebird. Still my favorite--wish I still had it.
Attachments
BucketGasket.jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I'll leave well enough alone for now, but come spring I may look into ditching the bag.

Would take some effort for a proper fit and seal but it would look far better and more streamlined.
I wonder about efficiency, there would be greatly reduced airflow I would think between a bucket and bag, alot of dynamics involved with these things.
Doug

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

This is my redesigned rig using a 20 gallon can to be more compact. I have also adopted the idea from youtube of blocking up each side to empty the can, thus eliminating the need for a hoist. Since I exhaust to the world, there is no filter.
DCIMG_1527.JPG
This shows the upper assembly blocked up with 2x4's, leaving the can free for removal and emptying.
DCIMG_1520.JPG

So far, so good. Of course, used Aspire to cut new part for can top and collector bottom.

Angie

jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by jhowelb »

It is great that you too gained an idea! I was feeling a little bummed out after hijacking your thread.

With all the things I learned and the view points expressed I formed an idea of what I wanted to accomplish and I even found (captured) a photo of very nearly the things I want.

See what you guys think.
Attachments
1-19-2017 1-23 PM).jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

jhowelb wrote:It is great that you too gained an idea! I was feeling a little bummed out after hijacking your thread.

With all the things I learned and the view points expressed I formed an idea of what I wanted to accomplish and I even found (captured) a photo of very nearly the things I want.

See what you guys think.

Don't mean to be Negative Nancy here, but to me it looks completely amateur & ghetto, alls thats lacking is milk crates, bungies and duct tape.
But the "design" appears functional, the motor is bolted to a vertical plywood sheet like mine, and looks to be [a bit haphazardly] balanced on blocks screwed to the wall and another horizontal sheet [hope they made an effort to find studs at least], as all the weight of the motor and sheet is on them.
The bag and filter are propped up on a file cabinet and partial pallet section ,,, I would suggest a little more imagination to this [or maybe less !], but if you don't need mobility , a passable setup [assuming you can even reach the switch].
Doug