Dust Collector Mods

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Dust Collector Mods

Post by Xxray »

jhowelb wrote:Just to illustrate my vision I've used the magic of photo shop to join two pictures.
Comments?
Too bulky and cumbersome looking for my tastes, and for my shop.
I like something as streamlined as possible, and on wheels ,,, Like mine !
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Doug

jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by jhowelb »

How about this?
Attachments
Snapshot 3 (1-16-2017 3-29 PM).png

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Looks better - Thing is, there is a cart included with the collector.
Tight tolerances to add a can, but it can be done and the result is the most streamlined, best looking and functional one of all.
All I needed not in the box [besides the garbage can] was a sheet of 3/4 plywood that is used for the vertical motor mount, and a 2x4 with 45's at each end for a brace.

Functionality is what counts the most, but I also shy away from things that look ghetto, probably due to my years long union carpenter training.
Doug

jhowelb

Post by jhowelb »

At 75 YOA and suffering with end stages COPD, I have a few things to add to the list of necessary features. Since I have limited energy and stamina I need as much prebuilt as I can afford so as to be able to devote my time and energy to carving rather than building equipment.

Your rig looks good, as much as I can see peaking out from behind other equipment. How about some full frontal and profile photos?

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I don't do full frontal !

Joking, I'll post some pics later, insofar as its possible to take a clear shot in my packed garage.
have almost got it back together after taking the motor off, changing the bag and dumping/blowing out the filter.
I don't mean to sound preachy, I only know what looks and works the best for me, and IMO no need to rig up a full cart from scratch when a cart is included, right down to the wheels even.
I did opt for a 20 gal Rubbermaid instead of a 25 gal standard garbage can, 25 is too much capacity IMO and hogs up more space than necessary [and looks ghetto]. If I could find a clear one that would be even better, I think they make them. I did install a window in mine but its useless and really just a liability, so its impossible to tell without popping the lid how full it is.

I was eyeballing this little beauty at Woodcraft yesterday

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/lagu ... -collector

Very compact, powerful, pleated filter with a shaker and looks like adding a separator would be easy [and necessary, that dinky bag would fill up quick without one].
Cost about 3x the HF model though.
Doug

jhowelb

Post by jhowelb »

Plus, changing the bag will be a PIA!!
What you got is better.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Working on a design for my HF DC that will be close to Xxray's design. To ease the issue of removing the collection bin I'm designing a sliding mount for the motor assembly. When I want to empty the collection bin I'll be able to slide the motor assembly up (planning on 6") to enable removing the collection bin. Wish I knew how to use SketchUp, I'd make a 3D drawing. I should have the rough 2D drawings done soon.

To keep from lifting the total weight of the motor assembly I'm working on a counter weight/spring to ease the weight of the assembly.

More details to follow. Soon I hope.
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

My collection barrel slides out with ease, thats because the motor isn't mounted on it but rather over it.
Motor is seriously heavy, would not advise anyone to try a deadweight lift from a bin without a winch/chainfall.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Doug,

How long is the hose between your barrel and motor?
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

highpockets wrote:Doug,

How long is the hose between your barrel and motor?

Very short, with the hose on [I'd estimate 6"], it barely scrunches by the motor inlet when installing or removing ,,, But thats the way I want it.
Hose has some springy flex of course, so I scrunch it down, when it is directly under the inlet I let it back up and it seats perfectly, and I spring clamp it in place.

I could have made the motor sit up higher, but then the motor outlet would not have been properly aligned with the filter inlet [which is very tight at that end as well, almost touching in fact]. Just enough room to get a short length of hose between them and slide over each housing, then clamped in place as well.

My setup was determined by my determination to use the included metal cart, else I probably would have designed a bit more slack into it if I designed and made my own.

Some might be nervous of a heavy motor bolted vertically to a wood sheet, no worries there.
3/4 plywood and 6 bolts are more than enough to hang it forever, and it is not top heavy at all. I have tried to tip it to see how much it will take, there is no way it would tip on its own. Didn't need help lifting when installing either, I installed the motor with the cart on its back, when the motor was bolted in I simply tipped it up and rolled it into place.
Last edited by Xxray on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

I built mine around a HF unit. Trash can has a Thein separator and the pleated filter (with large hole in bottom) is cantilevered so the drywall bucket can be slid out. I get about a cup of dust per 1/2 can of chips. Note the chips are collected prior to reaching the HF impeller fan.
Attachments
FrontCD.jpg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Novel setup Mike, I like the idea of eliminating that nasty blow up containment bag from the equation.

No suction leaks between the 5 and filter ?
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

A few pics as promised.

Some hoses are not clamped yet, generally I get a tight enough fit so thats not a concern.

Just finished bandsawing a load of padauk, the dust is so fine and messy that I brought a 4" to 2.5" reducer so I can use my shop vac for stuff like this, vac is alot easier to clean out than the collector.
Attachments
IMG_1862.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Mike,

I like your setup, especially like the fact you got rid of the plastic bag. I hate having to put the bag on, the clamp is a real pain.

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Doug,

Thanks for the info and pictures.
John
Maker of Chips