4th axis on ShopSabre 4896 ATC

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
Ring Shake
Model of CNC Machine: Conquest 250, ShopSabre 4896 ATC

4th axis on ShopSabre 4896 ATC

Post by Ring Shake »

Well I managed to finally use my indexer for a test cut. I was initially told I didn't need a wrapping post processor but of course that wasn't the case.
So once installed in my PostP folder I was ready to test. I set the indexer on a table beside the CNC bed for the initial movements.
I had the post logic backwards at first as I wasn't sure if X was for orientation or wrapping direction.
I machined a cylinder from square stock as I have a job for some mining plugs. I did offset for the rounding pass by .375" using a 1" cheapo bit.
I wasn't sure how to mount the unit so I just used my clamps for the table.

I use a 1/2 spoilboard with slots cut in it for the clamping rails. I had about .25" clearance under the gantry.
It seems if I adjust the tool # feed rate in the library it doesn't have a huge result on cut speed.
It was really slow transiting to the start position of the cut. Would be nice to crank her up a bit.
I wish it wouldn't switch rotation direction throughout the program as it cuts better in the one direction.
I think I will use an even bigger cutter and run them as a fine spiral.

In my testing I moved the spindle over 10" without changing the zero xy and it still started cutting with that offset.
Sometimes one just has to do it a few times and some of these odd happenings disappear. I'd be the first to admit it might well be pilot error!

Finally, I thought I might as well try wrapping text around it and indeed it did but it was upside down!
I don't know what caused that but it was fine in the Aspire preview.
Attachments
IMG_5057[1].JPG
IMG_5053[1].JPG

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: 4th axis on ShopSabre 4896 ATC

Post by IslaWW »

Ring Snake...
You will need to modify your post processor OR swap a couple motor wires to change the motor direction.

In my examples I am using A as the axis designator, replace with yours if different.

IF when you zero the rotary axis (G92 A0) or whatever the rotary axis designator is, and then type in G1 A 90 the axis rotates 90* clockwise when viewed from behind the chuck (like your picture), the motor is wired correctly, change the postP.

To change the postP, from the file menu in your Vectric software, click on "Open Application Data Folder" and then find your rotary post in either the PostP or MyPostP folder. Double click to open in an editor.

Find the line that looks similar to: ROTARY_WRAP_X = "-A" If yours is negative, remove the minus sign, if there is no minus sign, add one.

Restart your Vectric software and retest

To change the motor wiring, find a location where all 4 wires are removable. Possibly at a connector or at the drive. Swap two wires at either end.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Ring Shake

Post by Ring Shake »

That is to fix the upside down letters I take it?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Ring Snake...
Yes it was. I will try and answer a few more that I went by earlier because you seemed to be making statements rather questions.

First and foremost, SSB tech support should be the goto source for information on most of these, but I do have a few bits of info that can get you pointed in the right direction.

Of course you need a rotary wrapped post processor for rotary work when using Vectric products.
Mounting is in many cases "at user option", maybe SS has some options other than the one you show.
It is possible to have the XY feedrate converted to rotary when using WinCNC control. It may not be included in the postP you have, but it is not a difficult modification.
When you say "crank her up a bit" are you referring to XY or A, feeds or rapids?
You can, with a few modifications, implement continuous rotary turning to develop rotary shapes:
That's all that I could guess could be questions, unless you wish to ask more, or need clarification.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Ring Shake

Post by Ring Shake »

OK I got rid of the "-" in the Post Processor and that certainly did the trick, thank you very much Gary!
I do have one more question which is how to reference the indexer starting position.
"W" is my rotary axis. Does it always start the cut at W0 ?
Say for example I wanted to avoid a knot or defect in my work piece, other than manually rotating it in my 4 jaw chuck options.
Is it possible to write W30 to rotate the chuck 30 deg and reset the start position to go from that?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Where the machine starts depends on your setup in Aspire or VCPro, but is usually W zero

After you rotate 30*, type in G92 W0 to temp zero the W axis. Or L92 W0 to set machine coordinates

You can also change the Y zero location to match your requirements. X and Z should always be at the axis centerline
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Ring Shake

Post by Ring Shake »

OK thanks again, I'll try that tomorrow.