Shark H4 vs Shopbot Desktop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Shark H4 vs Shopbot Desktop

Post by Leo »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:From lots of reading and asking questions (like the OP), my opinion has hardened that the price point for a cnc that is relatively trouble-free is $10K+.

No one would ever make a rule like that, but that's what I've developed from my research.

Of course you can build one yourself, but if you add in a value for your time you will end up with that same $10K+ figure.
I have a CNC router of commercial quality in my shop. Certainly capably of production work. I had options added like a full 8" rotary axis with dedicated drivers built in, added 10" "Z". My machine has a 3.2kw water cooled spindle and all NEMA 34 motors. Ball screw on "Z", not acme screw. HiWin rails, all STEEL gantry and all steel welded base.

The machine total was $5200. With shipping to my shop, installed to include wiring and setup - total $7200.

The machine is 51"x51"x10" It is a VERY robust machine and after 2 years I am VERY happy with it.

I have seen 48x48x6 machines at $2400, but you need to account for shipping and installation. I always figure $2,000, but it could be less.

There are many factors in selection of a machine to fit the need.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Shark H4 vs Shopbot Desktop

Post by 4DThinker »

When I needed a larger CNC than my original white Shark Pro I went with a Probotix Meteor. All the CNCs Probotix sells start under 5k and come with controller and PC/monitor/keyboard/mouse already configured (linuxCNC) to run. Limit switches on all axis. E-Stop on the frame. Aluminum (all frame parts) and steel (linear rails) there is no plastic to flex/degrade over time. The bed default is MDF, but you can upgrade it as you see fit. VERY configurable t-slotted frame members. I do not work for them. We use two of their CNCs in our college furniture shop.

http://www.probotix.com/CNC-ROUTERS

4D