HELP, need help stacking images

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Breach Point
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger II

HELP, need help stacking images

Post by Breach Point »

I'm in the process of switching from a Carvewright to a Stinger from Camaster. I have already received my copy of VCarve and currently working on redesigning all my files since Carvewrights run on PTN files. This project is racking my brain and seems to be beyond my skillset. I have watched all the tutorials on stacking text and trying to apply those techniques to stack the images in the attached file. Anyone who has the time to stack this image and toolpath it I would gladly pay you. This is not a project I have an order for but is something I need to learn. Seeing it completed will give me the opportunity to see all the techniques used to get the results I am looking for. Attached is an image of the project in "Carvewright Form", which shows how I am trying to stack the images. This needs to be done in 2.5D not 3D, any help would be appreciated.

****Unable to upload the JPG image of the finished project. Any suggestions? This is my first post so I imagine I am doing something wrong.****
Attachments
1st Armored Division.crv
(91 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: HELP, need help stacking images

Post by IslaWW »

Good news, bad news. If you do a forum search for "text on text" it returns over 5000 results. I am sure the best answer is in there somewhere.

Short of that, I am attaching a tutorial PDF that was prepared by a forum user here that I often hand out in my classes. Hope it helps.
Attachments
TEXT ON TEXT VCarving.pdf
(273.72 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

Vectric has also made a video tutorial on the stacked text technique.
You can find it here http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... cks_1.html.
There are many video tutorials to help you learn VCP here http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8 ... Index.html
Euan

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

It will be MUCH easier for someone to make the toolpaths for you if they can see a finished example.

If the JPG is too large, you will not be able to upload it. You can load the image into Microsoft Paint, and Resize it to make the file smaller.

Or upload it to dropbox and post the link.

Note: The forum has some limitations on what you can post if you recently joined.

Or give me a call at four two five, 271, One zero sevendy four. (Renton, WA) I'm retired, so when you call isn't too important. I'm happy to help.

Mike
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

signcut329
Model of CNC Machine: K2CNC 2514 & V90

Post by signcut329 »

If you will send me your email address I have a couple files that may work for you.

signcut329@yahoo.com

Breach Point

Post by Breach Point »

I have attached the JPG, must have been to large to upload. Thank you for all the links to figure this monster out. I received an email saying I had a private message but when I click on the link is says I am unable to read private messages. What do I need to do to have that ability?
Attachments
1st Armored Division (resized).jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You will need to contact Vectric support in order for them to activate private messaging on your forum account, they do this to try & help prevent members being spammed.
Not sure how quickly you will get a response though as a lot of Companies in the UK shut down for Christmas & New Year :lol: :lol:

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

I'll tackle the file tomorrow. 12-28. It will be an interesting challenge, as there are about 5 levels by my first count.

I suspect the PM was from me, but I don't think there was anything in it that I didn't post above.

Mike.

Breach Point

Post by Breach Point »

FixitMike, I look forward to seeing the solution to stacking several images. Thanks for the help.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

Here is the result.
I have used layers to separate the different levels to be cut and to combine them. Layer 1 is the original design.
I added a border so the VCarve toolpath has has the up and down levels correct.
The summed levels (1+2+3+4, etc.) are the actual patterns for VCarve toolpaths. Look at 1+2 to see how they are added together.
I made the flat depth for each tool path at only .003" deeper than the previous, so the slopes resulting from the Vbit angle don't cause the separate parts to melt into each other.
The start depths for all of the toolpaths are set to 0. Otherwise the side of the V bit when making the deeper cuts will notch into the earlier cuts where the vectors overlap. However, this does make the elements that are carved in the deeper cuts fatter than the actual vectors. One could experiment with making the vectors smaller so the result is closer to the original vector.
The track elements do not include a center oblong so the tracks are simpler, similar to your example.
1st Armored Division (mod).crv
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 243 times

Breach Point

Post by Breach Point »

FixitMike, thank you for doing this. I am going to dissect your work in order to gain this skill (stacking several layers). Any advice on how to open this up in Vcarve Pro? I have a trial edition of Aspire so I am to view it through that but am I unable to open files with Vcarve Pro that were made in Aspire? It just seems to me that I should be able to. Am I missing something here.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Breach Point wrote:FixitMike, thank you for doing this. I am going to dissect your work in order to gain this skill (stacking several layers). Any advice on how to open this up in Vcarve Pro? I have a trial edition of Aspire so I am to view it through that but am I unable to open files with Vcarve Pro that were made in Aspire? It just seems to me that I should be able to. Am I missing something here.
Vcarve & Aspire use different file formats so you can't open an aspire file in vcarve, I believe with the trial version of Aspire you can still save the file as a .crv file so vcarve will open it though. If you select "save as" then you will see that option. Any 3d components won't be saved but everything else will be. If the file doesn't contain any 3d components then it will save the complete file :lol: :lol:

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard

Post by FixitMike »

The file is a VCarve file. Just use the file menu to select the file and open it. Or click and drag the file to the VCarve or Aspire icon.