This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
AmericanCNC&Artworks
Model of CNC Machine: CRP 48 X 96Pro

Please Help Need Low relief carving from JPG to PS to Aspire

Post by AmericanCNC&Artworks »

Color version I started with
Color version I started with
Hey Y'all,
I am new to EVERYTHING !! This is my first time to post on the Forum and I see there are a lot of great people here... I've had V-Carve / Aspire for 10 months and Photoshop for a week which is ahead of putting together a 4' X 8' machine. ( Figured I would learn some of the software first)
I Have A photo here that I like and have loaded into PS 2017... and tried to get good quality from Grayscale to 8 and 16 bit and import as component in Aspire... But, even with smoothing or inverting in Aspire... I have what I call poor Quality. Can someone please give me a procedure within the softwares I have to come up with something worth selling. here is the color photo that I originally took. I would really appreciate the help on this. Please see attached color orignal. Thanks in advance

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Please Help Need Low relief carving from JPG to PS to As

Post by FixitMike »

Here are some instructions.
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26185

I haven't reviewed them, but they look like what you are looking for.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I am no expert. When I need to enboss from photos I stay away from jpg it is a lossy format. I do not know what the original format the picture is in but. Load it into Photoshop and increase its dps to around 300. Read up on how to get higher res in your manual or check with adobe.What is the size of the cutting you are thinking of doing. This is an area where bigger is better. After you tweek the picture in photoshop save as a tif or tga or bmp.

Others will have better information for you.

Don

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I did a quick conversion using your picture here is what I came up with.
Attachments
2016-12-01.png

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Did the same, but resampled pic to 200dpi and 33% smoothing before carve.
Looks like downtown Ellijay.
I'd edit out that street sign in the middle.
Attachments
downtownEJcarve.jpg

AmericanCNC&Artworks

FixitMike wrote:Here are some instructions.
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26185

I haven't reviewed them, but they look like what you are looking for.
Thanks Man this was Great!!!
I Can do a lot by now between PS and Aspire but perfection is what I demand of myself and... The more I learn, the more I see how many hours or DAYS a man can spend on one file.
Thank Again My friend,
Brian

AmericanCNC&Artworks

Makingtoothpicks wrote:I did a quick conversion using your picture here is what I came up with.

Looks a lot like what I have at the smoothing level I refused to go greater than... ( Compromise quality)
The More I learn, the more I know... Files like this are going to take a lot of experience, layers and TIME !

I wish we could Edit the pixels in the Drawing panel and watch in the 3D change rather than vise versa using smudge add remove and others...

Thank you my friend.
Brian

AmericanCNC&Artworks

[quote="Makingtoothpicks"]I am no expert. When I need to enboss from photos I stay away from jpg it is a lossy format. I do not know what the original format the picture is in but. Load it into Photoshop and increase its dps to around 300. Read up on how to get higher res in your manual or check with adobe.What is the size of the cutting you are thinking of doing. This is an area where bigger is better. After you tweek the picture in photoshop save as a tif or tga or bmp.

Others will have better information for you.

Don
Hey man That is what I did yesterday I Bought PS and started learning it. From Greyscale edited as16 bit then went through hell learning about copy and paste in Alpha Channel > filter stylize > find edges > Adjust curves in Alpha for darkening and lower noise levels in whites> Then tried Filter> Blur> Gaussian to spread the black out and sharpen a bit more. Then back to Alpha> curve which actually only helped a little... But I sure learned a lot about PS in one day He he he..
Thank Man I appreciate your time,
Brian

AmericanCNC&Artworks

Mike-S wrote:Did the same, but resampled pic to 200dpi and 33% smoothing before carve.
Looks like downtown Ellijay.
I'd edit out that street sign in the middle.

Yes it is Ellijay..
And No, I did not take the picture...

I was going to paste the picture toolpath bmp I saved last night but it is 2.87 mb and too large for this forum??? Mine is 45X19 inch and looks about the same as yours here but. Not what I would call something to sell for 400.00>

I used PS to modify it in the alpha channel which really helped for the large size I wanted.

Being new to all this, I sure would like to know how to modify this and others to get Great results without spending a week or better yet... All I have is time I wish I knew how I could spend a week and come up with a perfect carving from a photo like this. LOL

Thanks man,
Please let me know if you can lead me to what else I can do?
Regards, Brian

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

I sure would like to know how to modify this and others to get Great results
Brian, there's no magic button to turn a 2D photo into a 3D model. The best you will get out of a picture is different carving heights based on the lightness or darkness of the photo. So if if a shadow runs across a face, there will be a deep hole there as the shadow is dark.

The only 2D photo that will give true depth info is a "Height Map" which kind of looks like an xray, but if you look at it carefully, when converted to a component, the light areas produce high points in the carving and the darker areas produce low points in the carve.
Attachments
WHITE%20PIXELS%201A.jpg
towncarve.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Couple of questions, if you didn't take the picture how did you get it ? Was it sent to you by someone & if so what format was it sent in ??

What resolution is the image at now ? 2.9gb sounds a bit small for the file size if you have it at 45 x 19 inches as a BMP ?

Oh when you set up a new job in the software what modeling resolution are you using ?