Salad Bowl Guitar

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Salad Bowl Guitar

Post by CarveOne »

While wandering around an Ikea store I saw 11" diameter bamboo salad bowls, and wondered what I could do with one of them, and bought one anyway. Three months later it has become another project for the next Aspire Camp trip to McGrew Woodworks.

The figured padauk looks like a raging fire when in the sunlight. I was very lucky to find it before some other woodworker grabbed it. The neck and the magnetic pickup bezel is red oak, the tail piece and remaing wood is bocote. The three pole pickup was made by glenninvb. The nut and the bridge are granite Corian.

CarveOne
Attachments
20151106_094922.jpg
20151106_094952.jpg
20151106_095024.jpg
20151106_095109.jpg
20151106_100911.jpg
20151106_095124.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Vfxdaddy
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Re: Salad Bowl Guitar

Post by Vfxdaddy »

Very nice! Someday I will get some time to build nice things like this.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

How much of the salad bowl did you actually use?
Love it BTW
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Vfxdaddy wrote:Very nice! Someday I will get some time to build nice things like this.
After buying the bowl, I did a search for salad bowl guitars and only found a few banjos that used bowls of some kind. All were open back. So I started working on a drawing for a guitar version. It was considerable work, but is well worth it just just because it is very different. I'll have three new guitars at the next camp, so now I'm working on building three stands for them.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Ms Wolffie wrote:How much of the salad bowl did you actually use?
Love it BTW
I drew a mark at 3.5" down from the top rim of the bowl and set up a tall fence for my band saw that has been modified for a 12" throat height. It was tricky to get it cut flat and square but it went well. Block sanded the rim and bottom to make them flat for gluing on the 1/8" thick top panel.

The bottom panel is held on with 12 #4 by 1/2" brass screws. The neck, top panel, and bottom panel, and bezel are all CNC machined parts. The heart and triqueta sound hole is cut through and a bit weak, so I used cyanoacrylate adhesive to apply a 3" diameter piece of 8 ounce fiberglass cloth to the inside, then trimmed out any of it that shows from outside. It's very solid now even though it still looks fragile. The bezel has a small double triqueta on it. That was made with a 1/32" diameter tapered ball nose cutter.

CarveOne
CarveOne

lsymons
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by lsymons »

Very nice and unique CBG. I am just starting building CBG's. Presently having an issue with trying to do two rail sweep for the back of the neck. If you view my post in General (two rail sweep) I enclosed my crv3d file. If you have any ideas about what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. And I might add, I have really appreciated your posts regarding all your CBG builds. Keep up the great work.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Elegant! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

lsymons wrote:Very nice and unique CBG. I am just starting building CBG's. Presently having an issue with trying to do two rail sweep for the back of the neck. If you view my post in General (two rail sweep) I enclosed my crv3d file. If you have any ideas about what I am doing wrong, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have. And I might add, I have really appreciated your posts regarding all your CBG builds. Keep up the great work.
Welcome to the forums.

I have one more to make, as I mentioned, but I never rule out making something weird now and then - or when a nice looking cigar box comes along. It keeps us all entertained.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:Elegant! :)
Thanks, much appreciated sir. :D
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

CarveOne wrote:...

I have one more to make, as I mentioned, but I never rule out making something weird now and then - or when a nice looking cigar box comes along. It keeps us all entertained.

CarveOne
I think you need to organize a "CarveOne Band" to play for us at the next camp!

(Fantastic job on this salad bowl instrument, BTW!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

mtylerfl wrote:
CarveOne wrote:...

CarveOne
I think you need to organize a "CarveOne Band" to play for us at the next camp!

(Fantastic job on this salad bowl instrument, BTW!)
Sounds like a good idea, but all I can play is a CD or the radio. :( A knowledgeable CBG player is welcome to play them and tell me what's wrong with the string setups. They can use some tweaking. I really do need to spend more time learning to set string heights, eliminate buzzing, etc.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I FINALLY wired the magnetic pickup and installed the two potentiometers and phone jack in this guitar today. Then took a final photo of it.

It has been sold to a friend who wants to give it to a music insttuctor friend of his for Christmas. Maybe I will get some training out of this deal if the instructor likes it enough. One can hope.

Many thanks to forum member glenninvb for making the magnetic pickup for this project. It works very well on a 25 watt amp I have.

CarveOne
Attachments
20161129_103459.jpg
CarveOne

Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laquna Swift

Post by Larry Cessna »

That is very nice. How did you attach the neck. Did the pick up go down into the neck ???

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

The neck glues into a notch in the bamboo bowl, with the end of the neck glued against the inside of the bowl. It's a bit complicated as far as the hole for the pickup. It was mostly machined during cutting the neck, but some minor fitting with a Dremel tool during installation of the pickup was needed. The neck has been painted black where it might be seen from outside. Inside the bowl area there is 0.15" removed from the neck thickness to allow clearance to the top panel so that it can vibrate, and allows the wiring to be routed under the top panel where needed. Wiring is anchored using silicone seal to prevent buzzes.

CarveOne
Attachments
20151031_162944.jpg
CarveOne

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

That is a beautiful piece. I did a cigar box guitar and posted a pic of it today. It was simple and doesn't compare to what you have done. I want to make a full size guitar one day, and will see how that goes.

Dave