Which settings for Gary Cooper in Photovcarve?

This forum is for general discussion about PhotoVCarve.
FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Which settings for Gary Cooper in Photovcarve?

Post by FixitMike »

Try a small sample job on some scrap of the same material. It is the only way you will know for sure.

Myself, I have used stain, Gel stain, acrylic paint, and spray paint over shellac, and over wipe-on oil base poly. The drying times were different, the ease of application varied, but the final results have seemed the same. Only caveat is to make sure whatever you use is thoroughly dried before applying the next coat. I usually allow twice what the container says.

I prefer to apply an initial coat or three of sealer, sanded smooth, before cutting, Makes it easier to remove the excess fill color. Sometimes I even wax the surface with caranuba car wax. It gets removed when I sand the excess coloring off.

For PhotoVCarve halftone portraits, I usually use maple substrate, and dark brown stain (or paint) . A sealer after carving helps prevent bleeding.

My choice of what to use often is whichever I reach first on my paint shelf. I can't give you any information as to the life of the various options, but would suggest a final coat or 2 of a Poly finish would be a good idea. (I'm partial to Wipe-On Poly because I can apply it with a piece of paper towel, which I can just throw away after it dries.)
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mikejohn
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeko

Post by mikejohn »

What sealer do you use? I will have to try and find an equivalent.

Mike

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

mikejohn wrote:What sealer do you use? I will have to try and find an equivalent.

Mike
I've used MinWax sanding sealer. Also MinWax Wipe-On Poly as the sealer. I would expect any sanding sealer to work.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mikejohn

Post by mikejohn »

Thank you :-)

I will post the results with pic.

mikejohn

Post by mikejohn »

I promised a picture when done.

Here is a different gary (higher res) done in Romark Mattes Engraving Laminate from Australia - https://rowmark.com.au/collections/all- ... collection

Loved the material. Works out to be the same cost per piece to make in Australia and no painting or staining.

I put the job on a a4 scanner and you can easily see the effect without standing way back.

Settings attached.

Mike
Attachments
settings.jpg
gary-cooper.jpg
Eiganotomo-garycooper-nov19.jpg