I made a larger version of the MC logo I first posted and it came out flawless.
Am fairly certain my methods of level/clamp/glue are up to snuff. I tend to overdo things from force of habit, I glued the snot out of it both blanks and used no fewer than 6 press clamps and a c clamp in the middle, let it sit around 20 hours using Titebond 3.
Dry fit seemed good, I used the 687, crossed hammers and hat as pivots and it locked in ,,, As good as those came out [and the lettering] I think the fit was right on.
The details that make up this bulldog, you can barely scratch a fingernail into and not much more on the sawblade. I don't think there is enough of a cavity for the wood to bite into, plus being so flush to the surface, if the details didn't sand out I would have had high spots. I made about 10 light passes with the drum sander and it looked promising until the last 2 passes.
Used a 60 on this ... I'm all but convinced this design is impossible to inlay.
Blank will not go to waste, I can flip it and do something else with it. I tried to cut back in the details of the dog and blade but for whatever reason, it wants to cut everything I don't want cut and I just had enough of this project to put any more time into it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not soured on this method, I think I just pushed it too far - An inlay too far !