V Carve Desktop CNC Problems

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

V Carve Desktop CNC Problems

Post by Roskrow »

Since I had my CNC I have used another programme for all my toolpaths. I have now moved over to Vectric usind Desktop, but am eager to upgrade to Aspire. I attended the Vectric Day last month, and thought I should try and do some of the exercises we were shown. The one I have attempted is "Heart & Ribbon". In my first attempt I converted everthing to metric, but although initially it seemed to work well it then went haywire with steps in the Routing so that the top half finished with 3 decreasing steps. I presumed it was my error and started again, this time using imperial, and entering everything shown on the Vectric video. This time it went haywire, and dipped very low, breaking the 3mm Ball nosed cutter. My 3rd attempt seemed to start well. The roughing toolpath looked good and the finishing a Ball cutter started well then again went haywire suddenly going right thru my material, and then in to the waste board on my machine. In the end breaking the Router bit.
Until I gert some help I am not sure where I go from here. I was making Clocks in Acrylic, and never had a problem ( Not sure I can mention the software I was using), but I think that Vectric seemed to be a lot more user friendly. I want to get Aspire so that I can make better items. in 3d carving.

What oh what am I doing wrong. Should I only work in Imperial,or should I work in metric, or if, say, I start in Imperial can I convert my entries to metric. Beki Jeremy at Vectric made it all look so easy, or am I just THICK.
ANY help, suggestions etc. will be really apreciated. :roll: :oops:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: V Carve Desktop CNC Problems

Post by Adrian »

It doesn't matter what units you work in. The important thing (and for some machine even this doesn't matter) is that the units the post processor you use is in must match those that your controller software is set up for.

So if you use a post processor called "MYCNC (mm)" then your controller software should be set to mm. Your actual drawing could be in inches as could your tool definitions or a combination of both units.

Obviously it's also important the the post processor you're using is the correct one for the controller software you're using.

Try just doing something simple like cutting a square and see what happens.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Beki Jeremy at Vectric made it all look so easy.

Of course she did, don't forget she is an expert & works for the Company :lol: :lol: :lol:

Once you have done all your toolpathing what does the preview look like ? The preview screen is very accurate so if everything looks good in the preview the problem most likely lies else where.
What control software are you using ? As Adrian has already said you have to use the correct post processor for your machines control software.

As for actually working in imperial or metric units I would work with what ever you feel most comfortable working with. If a file has been created using imperial units you can change it to metric units BUT any toolpaths that have been created for that file must be recalculated before you save then for cutting :lol:
The software does give you a warning about this when you switch units.

Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

Post by Roskrow »

Thank you both for your replies.
I am very interested in you mm/imperial comments.
In version 1 (failure 1) I transposed all the imperial meaurements to Metric, and used mach 2/3 Arcs (mm) (*.txt)
Version 2 when I tried to copy all Beki's work I used mach 2/3 ARCS (inch) (*.txt)
as I also did in my third attempt.
I have looked at the G code this morning, and cannot see any of the Z positions to be down to: ( Minus - 12mm + 15mm ) - which is about the Z level it finished at.
Yes I willl try doing something very simple, and also try cutting a clock gear in Vectric. In the clock I use up to aboy 10mm.
It is a total mystery to me !!
Thanks again I am sure I will get there in the end :D :D

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Roskrow.
I used mach 2/3 ARCS (inch) (*.txt)
As Adrian mentioned, is your Mach3 setup configured to use inches?
If you (or your machine tool supplier) configured Mach3 to work in mm, (which is more likely with a machine tool
sourced outside of the U.S.) you should use a mm post processor.
The post processor that you select should match your machine tool / control setup,
regardless of the units that you choose to work in for any particular job.

If you tested the trial edition out with an millimeter post processor, and this worked correctly,
you should continue to use that post processor.

I hope that this helps.