Post by Paul Stewart »

A gift i did a while back
Wood was hard maple
about 2.5 hrs of cutting time
1/4" end mill for the roughing
1/8" ball nose for the finishing with 9% step over
came off the machine very smoother
very little sanding was needed
hand painted then sprayed with rattle can poly.
Attachments
Picture 254-a.jpg

eagle-for

Re: A Wedding Gift

Post by eagle-for »

WOW that looks great, thanks for sharing. Bet they are very excited with it.

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 96x48

Post by sluggo »

That's an awesome job! If you don't mind sharing, what do you use for the black fill on the lettering? I tried something similar and used a product called Alumite, which is a 2 part system that can be tinted with a powered coloring. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it only had a shelf life of 3 months when I bought it. When using it 7 months later, it never really cured properly.

Charlie

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sluggo »

I see it now - all of the words in your post did not show up when i first viewed it - very strange!

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

sluggo wrote:That's an awesome job! If you don't mind sharing, what do you use for the black fill on the lettering? I tried something similar and used a product called Alumite, which is a 2 part system that can be tinted with a powered coloring. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it only had a shelf life of 3 months when I bought it. When using it 7 months later, it never really cured properly.

Charlie
Alumilite is a urethane resin and expensive. It doesn't like moisture, at all. It also has to be measured by weight, not volume to get the correct cure and it really should be placed under pressure during the cure.

A better product for fill is an epoxy resin. It's much less difficult to work with, can be colored and is available from many sources at a reasonable cost.
Don't use the type that comes in the mixing dispenser. Get the two individual bottles. It has a lower viscosity and usually a longer pot life.

I use poly resin for casting and have made many items using it. It tends to be a little difficult to work with to start with, but anyone can get nice casts from it after a few attempts. It is also more brittle than the other two from above. It is also an exotherm resin and requires a larger amount for the cure, whereas the other two will cure in any amount.

fred ruppert
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by fred ruppert »

Willing to share the file, we rookies would appreciate it.

sluggo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by sluggo »

Samson,

I still have much to learn and appreciate the feedback. I guess I did not research enough as I did not realize it was best cured under pressure. I'm also in a high humidity environment here in Florida. The only thing I got right was mixing the 2 parts by weight! As they say, live and learn.

Thanks again!

Charlie

Paul Stewart
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Scratch Built

Post by Paul Stewart »

Below is a screen shot of V-Carve screen and a link to the web site for the hearts and ribbon that i used, they are free from the design and make web site
(Getting started at the bottom of page)
Did not want to load my V-carve file because of possible copy write issues.
(Design and make models - although the are free on their web site)
I used the lines in V-carve as a rough referance for text location, then i just moved and rotated the text to get what you see. Drew a line that followed the ribbon profile to do the same for the text on the ribbon. Hope that makes sense.
The paint i used is nothing but lowe's valspar paint in the sampler bottle.$2 or $3.
Put 2 to 3 coats of rattle can poly on after cutting and before hand painting. (keeps paint from bleeding and makes it easy to clean up around the letters)
A light sanding with 400 grit sand paper and 2 to 3 more coats of poly.

Note: I used V-carve 8.5 to position and merge the hearts and ribbon for the design not sure if earlier versions of V-carve will allow you do that.

http://designandmake.com/getting-started-guide
Attachments
Capture2.jpg

JimRochester
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by JimRochester »

Being that these are given away I doubt there is any problem with copyright laws. As long as you aren't selling them to someone else. Any chance of getting the files from someone who has completed this? I had a friend get married on Friday and I need to get something put together. Thanks.

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Jim, I agree with you. I can't imagine copyright issues being a concern. On the contrary, I imagine that designandmake.com would be happy for the free publicity and for more people to be working on projects from their website.

--Andy

llwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick

Post by llwood »

Just yesterday, I recreated one of these using Paul's model. I would be happy to upload it, but have had problems uploading large files in the past. In the Post for "Layered Wings Design" http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20592
I tried to post the file which was about 4.5M, however I saw a message that the limit on file size for uploaded files was 2M. I had to cut the file down to the bare bones to get it under 2M.

Anything with a 3D model is going to be much larger than 2M, so if they haven't increased the file size limit, I can't imagine anyone posting any 3D .crv files. The one I created yesterday is 8.6M. I'll try to upload it but don't expect to succeed.

--Andy

Paul Stewart
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Paul Stewart »

Hey Guys,
I had the same problem could not load the file so sent it to drop box. Hope the helps.
Here is the layout The files are from DESIGN AND MAKE hearts and ribbon project that is free from there website.(http://designandmake.com/getting-started-guide/) at the bottom of their page.
I have removed the text. You will have to select your own font and adjust to the curve For names and date.
Here is the file it is in Dropbox.
Link to the Dropbox files
Enjoy
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41jq950l2yqb4 ... k.crv?dl=0

Paul Stewart
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Paul Stewart »

Hey guys Design and Make made a post on their website and facebook page of the two hearts project that i did.

Desing and make webpage
https://designandmake.com/blog/2016/11/ ... ul-stewart

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/designandmakeit

Paul

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Paul Stewart wrote:Hey guys Design and Make made a post on their website and facebook page of the two hearts project that i did.

Desing and make webpage
https://designandmake.com/blog/2016/11/ ... ul-stewart

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/designandmakeit

Paul
Congrats Paul. They look great from the start.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

tadthies
Model of CNC Machine: Digital_Wood_Carver

Post by tadthies »

the font used JI-BRAVER i am unable to find anywhere for free or purchase. Anyone know where i can get that font or send to me?
Thanks