using a vector for STL profile cut: How?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
2C3D4U
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Flexicam Stealth

using a vector for STL profile cut: How?

Post by 2C3D4U »

Hi,

I imported an STL file into a new project, and have assigned three toolpaths to it. My final step calls for a profile cut to release the piece from a large material blank. I used the appropriate vector tools along with node editing to closely surround my object (since the STL mesh boundary is not recognized as a boundary), with the intention of using it to guide the profile cut. I'm getting several roadblocks to completion, and would appreciate knowing why:

- how do you give the vector drawn around the model Z location information? I assigned the drawn vector as layer 2. I also tried combining the layers, but haven't tried merging them.

- my material thickness is .82" and I'm asking the tool to go .03 lower. This generates a silly warning that I may go into the machine bed........I use 3/4" sacrificial sheets for vac pump.

- after closing the above message, the following message: "No TP generated for current parameters. Check tool can fit into selected vectors at machining depth". Seems rather cryptic. If the circumscribing vector was at Z=0 in a 2D drawing, I'd grab a tool, assign tool direction along with inside/outside/centered relative to the vector, then dictate depth of cut and bingo.

Can someone advise on what I'm missing here?

Thank you, 2C3D4U

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: using a vector for STL profile cut: How?

Post by mtylerfl »

2C3D4U wrote:Hi,

I imported an STL file into a new project, and have assigned three toolpaths to it. My final step calls for a profile cut to release the piece from a large material blank. I used the appropriate vector tools along with node editing to closely surround my object (since the STL mesh boundary is not recognized as a boundary), with the intention of using it to guide the profile cut.

You do not HAVE to use a vector around the model to carve it...you can choose the option to use the actual model/component as the boundary (and set a boundary offset) when creating your model toolpaths.

I'm getting several roadblocks to completion, and would appreciate knowing why:

- how do you give the vector drawn around the model Z location information?

Use the "create boundary from selected component" tool to create an outline vector for the model (I guess that's what you are wanting to do).

I assigned the drawn vector as layer 2. I also tried combining the layers, but haven't tried merging them. Sorry, I don't understand what your goal is here.

- my material thickness is .82" and I'm asking the tool to go .03 lower. This generates a silly warning that I may go into the machine bed........I use 3/4" sacrificial sheets for vac pump.

Silly or not, the warning is normal. It's a reminder that you'll be cutting into the spoil board is all.

- after closing the above message, the following message: "No TP generated for current parameters. Check tool can fit into selected vectors at machining depth". Seems rather cryptic. If the circumscribing vector was at Z=0 in a 2D drawing, I'd grab a tool, assign tool direction along with inside/outside/centered relative to the vector, then dictate depth of cut and bingo. Can someone advise on what I'm missing here?

It's caused by pilot error somewhere, but without seeing the file, hard to diagnose.

Thank you, 2C3D4U
P.S. - 2C3D4U, you will want to spend some more time watching the excellent video tutorials. They cover the basics as well as more advanced topics. All of which you will want to learn more about.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

It sounds like what you want to do is cut a profile toolpath around the part. It sounds like you have succeeded in creating a vector around the edge of the part you're wanting to cut out (do make sure it's a closed vector). At this point you simply need to define a 2d profile toolpath around the part using that vector and cut it with an appropriate tool.

The setup for the profile path will depend a bit on what's been cut already. If you need to cut from the surface of the work piece down, then set the start depth to zero and the cut depth to .85" (the .82 material thickness plus the .03" overcut into the spoilboard), set the toolpath to cut outside the boundary vector you created, set whatever parameters you choose and you're good to go.

If you don't need to start at the surface because your carving path has already cut some of the material away, then set the start depth and cut depths accordingly. For example, if you've already cut 0.5" away with the carving path, then set the start depth to 0.5, and the cut depth to 0.35 (for a total of 0.85").

As far as your layer manipulation, I'm with Michael - no idea what you're attempting to accomplish with that.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

2C3D4U wrote:I imported an STL file into a new project, and have assigned three toolpaths to it.
I'm interested in what software package was used to create the .STL file? There may be better ways to go about this than trying to use the .STL file.

Steven

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

adze_cnc wrote:
2C3D4U wrote:I imported an STL file into a new project, and have assigned three toolpaths to it.
I'm interested in what software package was used to create the .STL file? There may be better ways to go about this than trying to use the .STL file.

Steven
Hard to say, Steven. We haven't seen a screenshot or a file or anything to have the slightest idea what is being machined!

Three toolpaths assigned to a STL could be quite normal: 1) Roughing 2) Finishing, 3) Profile Cutout

We could be light years more helpful if we had more specific info on the project. Lot's of shooting in the dark goin' on.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC