Tool Feed Rate and Machine Time

This forum is for general discussion about Cut3D
mzongkers
Model of CNC Machine: laguna

Tool Feed Rate and Machine Time

Post by mzongkers »

So I have a project where I am doing 8x11 carvings that are 5/8 thick out of ribbon stripe mohagany, each one with a different scenery. I cut these on a Laguna Smartshop 2. It is a 4ftx8ft machine with 8 tool changers. I am just curious to see if how fast I am cutting these out is slow, fast, or about the same as others. Each of these is taking about 8-10 hours. I use a tapered ball nose 3.6 deg tip for the 3D roughing. Tip radius of 1/16, RPM- 16000, Feed rate-90 in/min, stepover- 31%. For the 3D finishing I use a tapered ball nose 6.2 deg tip. Tip radius of .0156, RPM-16000, Feed rate-75, stepover of 10%. I understand adjusting stepover will help with time but I can not lose a lot of definition by increasing that substantially. Do these feed rates and stepovers seem appropriate? Are there any suggestions to help decrease my running time on these without losing definition?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool Feed Rate and Machine Time

Post by Adrian »

The limiting factor with 3D work is nearly always the Z axis. That's the slowest axis and there is so much up and down movement in a 3D job it constrains the XY movement speed.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Tool Feed Rate and Machine Time

Post by scottp55 »

It depends on the file of course, But a lot of times a roughing pass can be skipped completely.
BUT, you may want to consider using a larger downcut bit for the roughing cut. In this one it was a .25" downcut at 40% stepover and saved a lot of time.
Tapered Ball Nose can easily cut the waste, as it's only cutting the stepover. You can use some of the time you save to decrease stepover on the finish cut to reduce sanding.
Keeping feeds the same for all axis also speeds it up.
2cents
scott
Attachments
9.6.16 ALLAGASH FINISH 49 PERCENT DONE 1.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.