Job Orientation - Is there a way to NOT rotate the Project?

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Job Orientation - Is there a way to NOT rotate the Project?

Post by RacerChris »

I have a long, thin model that is best visible on VCarve by orientating the piece horizontally. However, when writing Toolpaths, I want to orient the piece vertically. Is there a way to NOT reorient the VCarve model to accomplish this?
Chris
Shark HD3 / vCarveDesktop 10.512 / CNC Shark Control Panel v2.1 Build 22

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Job Orientation - Is there a way to NOT rotate the Proje

Post by IslaWW »

Simple answer: No

Truth is that it only takes a few seconds to do the swap, position for cutting and recalculate all the toolpaths once you get used to it. What part(s) are you having difficulty with?
Attachments
Swap Orientation.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Is there a particular reason why you have to do the toolpathing that way? If it has something to do with grain direction & cutting the right way then depending on what sort of toolpath you are using & what toolpath strategy you use then there are ways to change the cut direction, any toolpath that will do a raster cut will give you the option to change the raster angle :lol: :lol:

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

One could use a text editor on the toolpath file, but you might end up carving a mirror image. Easier to just rotate the job and Recalculate all toolpaths.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Davekat
Model of CNC Machine: Home Brew with some CNCMogul parts

Post by Davekat »

This subject has been driving me batty!

My machine is 46" (X) x 95" (Y). (yes I know, it should have been 49x97, but it was a deal. what can I say)
My monitor is "Wider" than tall, by a long shot.
I have to believe most people have wide monitors as I do.

I make Drapery Cornices. (Enough said? :idea: maybe not... Let me explain...)

I design the cornice as it would look wide to my screen in Aspire. I do this so that I don't have to turn my head as I add artwork and text.
90% of what I make is Linear to the bed (long = Y). You guessed it, I have to TURN every job I design so that I can take it to the machine.
I end up creating 2 (or more) separate files, the original, so that I can alter things as needed, then rotate and and create cut files and saving as a new file to keep the original work on my screen.
I suspect some of you are scratching your head by now, but it is what I do to survive.
Yes, I am aware of the pin swap at the controller. (Geckodrive G540)

What a simple feature to add. Rotate x and y to fit screen orientation. (I would then only need one file for each job change.)

Please consider this in new versions. :shock:

I believe there are more people out there using bad words than one might think on this subject. 8)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you not rotate your monitor? Most monitors I have seen (not a huge number but a few) have the option to be viewed either landscape or portrait :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Along with what Gary said.

Do all your design work with the long axis in line with your long monitor.

After you are all done with your design work and toolpathing, rotate the entire work by select all and rotate 90 degrees.

Then change material, recenter, recalculate.

It would be a nice thing to click one button to swap axis's
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's just not that big a deal IMHO. I design everything with the XY zero in the center of the project and quite often rotated at 90 degrees as well. It's the work of seconds to reset the XY zero to the bottom left (where I cut on the machine) and rotate the vectors before outputting the toolpaths. I actually just timed myself doing it and it took 11 seconds from start to clicking the save toolpath button.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, but couldn't a modified post processor do this for you?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

A modified post process, or swapping the X and Y cables (and reversing direction the old Y/new X motor spins) would be easier than waiting for them to add a new feature to the software.

I had to modify a post processor to swap which coordinates were mapped to which machine directions before and this forum provided great help. Just a few lines of text to be changed was all it took.

4D

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

As Adrian says, this is a very simple process that only takes a few seconds and uses the vector tools that one should be familiar with anyway.

Yes, this could be done via changing motor pins and or directions. It could also be done by modding a postP. However, if either of these methods are used, what would be the steps required when the user does NOT want the output rotated? Also, when using a machine with a "modified" output, one may lose the ability to receive support from other users or a MFGR that produced the machine. There is also the issue of moving XY zero locations and how existing limits work along with numerous macros that are based on the original axis datum locations and motion directions.

The steps to accomplish the rotation are straightforward and simple once the design is complete and the toolpaths are generated and previewed:

1) Select all and group
2) Rotate the selected grouped vectors
3) Position the rotated vectors to desired location
4) Ungroup and press "Recalculate all toolpaths"

Even if you started out with Adrians XY zero to center of material and wanted to reset the material size and XY datum, which would only be needed on a Desktop version, All of the above can be accomplished in under 15 seconds. Less with practice. And since the long axis is split between X and Y throughout the CNC world it would be hard to perceive this as a "value added" new feature. If you think about it, this process is easier to accomplish than designing and cutting a 4' wide by 8' tall sign on a machine that has the long axis in X. Or, maybe its just the same as it takes the same steps to accomplish.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Davekat
Model of CNC Machine: Home Brew with some CNCMogul parts

Post by Davekat »

Everyone heard me, but alas... no-one listened. :cry:

I was thinking :idea: of designing a car whereby the driver and passengers sit transverse. :wink: By doing this, one can use a bench seat 13.13 ft long with just one seat belt to hold them all. Not only that, think green! The car could be made very narrow and save fuel as it went down the freeway. Just think of all the money that would be saved making cars and the view would be wonderful out the side window for the passengers. No need to make a separate seat for the driver. To drive, all the driver has to do is look over his left shoulder while he operates the car...
Oh... "that's ridicules you say"? Why, the driver would get neck cramps looking left all of the time". I have a solution! Just install a mirror in front of the driver on a 45deg angle. Problem solved. Now he doesn't have to turn his head.

...I am hoping someone Listened.

Again...
"What a simple feature to add. Rotate x and y to fit screen orientation. (I would then only need one file for each job.)
"
(You've got to know as I write this, that I'm laughing my head off that I even come up with this analogy :lol: )

Davekat wrote:This subject has been driving me batty!

My machine is 46" (X) x 95" (Y). (yes I know, it should have been 49x97, but it was a deal. what can I say)
My monitor is "Wider" than tall, by a long shot.
I have to believe most people have wide monitors as I do.

I make Drapery Cornices. (Enough said? :idea: maybe not... Let me explain...)

I design the cornice as it would look wide to my screen in Aspire. I do this so that I don't have to turn my head as I add artwork and text.
90% of what I make is Linear to the bed (long = Y). You guessed it, I have to TURN every job I design so that I can take it to the machine.
I end up creating 2 (or more) separate files, the original, so that I can alter things as needed, then rotate and and create cut files and saving as a new file to keep the original work on my screen.
I suspect some of you are scratching your head by now, but it is what I do to survive.
Yes, I am aware of the pin swap at the controller. (Geckodrive G540)

What a simple feature to add. Rotate x and y to fit screen orientation. (I would then only need one file for each job change.)

Please consider this in new versions. :shock:

I believe there are more people out there using bad words than one might think on this subject. 8)

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Davekat,

If I were doing this on a regular basis I'd make a copy of my regular post process that just swaps X and Y.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

Whoa, it sounds like a hit a sensitive spot...

Yes, there is an easy workaround, ie, turn your model to create the toolpaths and others as noted above. But I am hoping I bought into a company (Vectric) that listens to their users and constantly improves their software to makes live easier for us all... I am a bt of aprogrammer, so it is clear to me that it would be simple to make the following changes to the Software that would make my life easier and probably many others:

1. Modify Control Panel with a button that says "Swap X & Y Axis"
2. Modify Control Panel with a button that says Park - After all toolpaths the router parks are 0,0 which is ALWAYS in the way to check the results. I have to manually move the router to a park position so i can check the result before releasing the work...

Hopefully someone at VEctric is listening...
Chris

RacerChris
Vectric Apprentice

Post by RacerChris »

I emailed Vectric Support and sent them a link to this thread, so if you support these changes, then please add your 2 cents...

Chris

chris@manabeads.com wrote:Whoa, it sounds like a hit a sensitive spot...

Yes, there is an easy workaround, ie, turn your model to create the toolpaths and others as noted above. But I am hoping I bought into a company (Vectric) that listens to their users and constantly improves their software to makes live easier for us all... I am a bt of aprogrammer, so it is clear to me that it would be simple to make the following changes to the Software that would make my life easier and probably many others:

1. Modify Control Panel with a button that says "Swap X & Y Axis"
2. Modify Control Panel with a button that says Park - After all toolpaths the router parks are 0,0 which is ALWAYS in the way to check the results. I have to manually move the router to a park position so i can check the result before releasing the work...

Hopefully someone at VEctric is listening...
Chris