Paradise Boxes

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Paradise Boxes

Post by Dank »

My wife calls them sewing boxes. That's fine with me. One is a gift for one of her quilting buddies...

More info here: http://workshop.ramblindan.org/jla/wood/sewing-boxes
Attachments
Double the fun
Double the fun
Dan'l

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Paradise Boxes

Post by mtylerfl »

Both look great, Dan! Thank you for posting the photos!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BernieNUFC
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: High Z 720

Post by BernieNUFC »

I went to your site and saw the work there, brilliant patience and they are a testament to that fact
VCarve Pro v9.012
High-Zs 720- Kress 1050 router ( CNC-Step DE version)

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Hey Dan!

Thanks for sharing your work and your website! I will be spending some time over there...

I still haven't gotten around to building a Paradise Box myself so I am always inspired when I see someone use one of Michael's great designs!

Mike :)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

mikeacg wrote:Hey Dan!

Thanks for sharing your work and your website! I will be spending some time over there...

I still haven't gotten around to building a Paradise Box myself so I am always inspired when I see someone use one of Michael's great designs!

Mike :)
How could you NOT have cut a paradise box Mike, it's a vectric right of passage :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan, good work on the Boxes :lol: :lol:

Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Post by Dank »

Thanks everyone.

My wife was at a quilting show with her friend. They saw a sewing box that they almost purchased. They didn't quite like the quality and my wife said, "I know Dan can make a nicer version"
When she asked me, I immediately thought of the Paradise Box. I always thought I would make one sooner or later. It has a great V-Carve pattern and simple box making joinery. Didn't think I'd be making two...

~ Dan
Dan'l

airhed
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha

Post by airhed »

I have made 5 Paradise Boxes on my Piranha Cnc and they are very popular. Thinking of making them for craft shows but have no idea of how to price them. Has anyone made these to sell? They are east to modify as I have made four different versions.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

If your wife is using this as a sewing box Dan then you might want to consider adding a tray which I am sure she would find useful :lol: :lol:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ay#p164545

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

airhed wrote:I have made 5 Paradise Boxes on my Piranha Cnc and they are very popular. Thinking of making them for craft shows but have no idea of how to price them. Has anyone made these to sell? They are east to modify as I have made four different versions.
I would imagine it will depend to some degree where you are & what else is available at the Craft Fairs you attend & how many people are selling the same sort of thing. I have never tried to sell anything at Fairs because I have always felt that those people who were selling were generally selling to cheaply, I think there are probably a lot of people who visit them & expect to be able to buy cheaply :lol: :lol:

Not sure a lot of people really understand the time & effort that goes in to some of this stuff, yes the machine will do all the cutting & often relatively quickly BUT there is still a lot of time spent sanding & finishing to get a project to look good :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I believe Mark Johnson is selling his custom versions for around $150 each.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

These boxes can get very addictive. They are very useful for learning to use Vcarve Pro and the 3d modeling tools in Aspire. I had no idea that the number would be bumping up against 50 of them so far, and two more will be under way soon. :shock: All but about five of them have been gifts to family members and close friends.

I spend about 5-6 days on each one, but the designs have been getting more complex with each one. Some days during the finishing stages there is a lot of time spent doing other things while waiting for paint to dry.

Martin54, thanks for linking to my tray design. That version of a Pbox tray has been very popular.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

mtylerfl wrote:I believe Mark Johnson is selling his custom versions for around $150 each.
One of mine went for $250, but it was his second offer. I finished that one in four days flat ... :D

$100 to $150 for the very few other ones I got paid for, and even that equates to about $1 an hour for labor.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Ouch Martin! I'm so old that when I started doing CNC the Mayan calendar was a rite of passage! I'll have to get busy so you don't have me thrown out of the club!

Mike :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

No Mike, the Mayan Calendar is your CNC machines rite of passage, been used by lots of self build people over the years to prove the accuracy & rigidity of their cnc machine, that was the first thing I actually cut once I had finished rebuilding & setting up my machine :lol: :lol:

Paradise box is purely a Vectric thing (or it should be) :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I guess it depends on a number of factors really, if you try & account for all the time then the price is going to be extremely high even with a reasonably low rate for the hours you put in.

Depends if you are running some sort of business or just looking to make some beer money as well :lol: :lol:

I would say that $150 is to low for a custom made box, might be OK if you had a few different designs pre made that the customer could pick from but if it is a custom or personalised box then there could be a lot more time taken with design/drawing work.

I've done a few using 3d models rather than vcarved so that again would make a difference because of the extra machining time.

Being in the UK it may be a completely different market though :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've also made 3 different sizes for them, smallest is also only 16mm thick but one thing I have noticed is that the smaller ones don't take any less time to make & the difference in material costs is hardly worth mentioning :lol: :lol: