I want to learn to model like a pro

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: I want to learn to model like a pro

Post by mtylerfl »

t28c34 wrote:Michael,
Your inspire me to want to sculpt and learn more. I use both my pen and mouse when I sculpt also. It seems easier to zoom and twiddle with the mouse than the pen. certain lines I have problems with, so I have to move the tablet around a bit. For me some times it the hand eye coordination looking at the screen and making a diagonal line on the pad on my desk. Kind of like playing with an Etch-a-sketch. I would like to try a pen display some time. I think it would be a whole lot easier. I did a little sculpting on my box, now I have to work on modeling what is going inside
Glad you are inspired! Your box looks great (thanks again to Michael M. for posting the perspective method!).

I use the Alt key for twiddling the model rotation and panning when using the pen. My tablet has keypads that function as Space, Ctrl, Alt, Shift keys and also has a zoom bar. Holding a switch on the pen body while holding down a tablet keypad (or computer keypad - same result) can speed up the process, as compared to changing over to your mouse. I will rotate the on-screen model (not the tablet) when I need a more comfortable angle whilst sculpting.

Another TIP: The Arrow keys on your computer keyboard are handy for changing the Tool Strength and the Cursor Size, when using the pen. You can press the horizontal arrows to reduce/enlarge cursor size...press the vertical arrows to increase/decrease tool strength.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

t28c34
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha 4x8

Post by t28c34 »

Oh dah! that's right move the model not the tablet. Its the simple things that you overlook by over thinking. I have my tablet set up with different functions. Its just a matter of using it enough to be able to remember which does what. Like how I taught myself CAD, just have to use it every day.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

t28c34 wrote:Oh dah! that's right move the model not the tablet. Its the simple things that you overlook by over thinking. I have my tablet set up with different functions. Its just a matter of using it enough to be able to remember which does what. Like how I taught myself CAD, just have to use it every day.
I don't reliably remember what each pad does on my tablet, so I taped on a label to remind me! You would think I could remember them by heart after all these years, but sadly, no (except for the zoom bar)!

I just now snapped a photo of my 4" x 6" live-area pen tablet so you can see my label. This small tablet is one I like the best and use most often...the bigger one is less convenient for my taste.
Attachments
wacom-tablet-labeled.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

t28c34
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha 4x8

Post by t28c34 »

I bought my pad a year or so ago. When you lightly touch any button, it shows up on the screen on the side with the labels that you programed them for.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't think it's just sculpting Michael, some people just don't seem to be able to get on with a tablet full stop, personally I think they take a bit of getting use to & a lot of those people don't give it enough time to adjust. I had a wacom as I mentioned before & it got quite a lot of use but that was for the signmaking business so was all 2d. When I got ill most of what I was doing stopped. When I started again it was only part time as & when I could manage so now I don't do anywhere near the same volume of work, in fact I don't really do that much at all :oops: :oops:

I actually searched about the internet & found info on getting the tablet I have working under windows 7 64bit but have had no joy getting it to work myself so far, not prepared to give up on it just yet though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: