Square Radius Problems

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Square Radius Problems

Post by jackson74 »

I am having some (many) problems with my cnc right now. After 1.5 years finally getting it running properly and 2 perfect jobs a bearing went in the ballscrew and now everything is all messed up.

My machine is out of square and I am trying to get it working but I have all sorts of other problems. My previews in Vcarve are not machining as the preview. I am creating a 3.5" square and using a 60 degree v bit to go .06 deep. The preview shows very slight radius to the corners and then the actual milling makes these huge radius corners on 3 sides, then a perfect square on the last side BUT does not even close the square off?

See pic and thanks for any help and advice!
Attachments
IMG_0060.JPG

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Square Radius Problems

Post by jackson74 »

Also, the start point, I can change it on the vector but once I calculate the path it keeps it in the original position?

JoeM
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shop-Made Router

Post by JoeM »

If it's not doing what V-Carve says it's doing, then it's most likely your machine settings. When you worked on fixing the ballscrew did you play with whatever control software you're using, maybe during calibration? Maybe you changed the error % allowed, or flipped between "Constant Velocity" and "exact" or some other obscure box got checked. Do you have a test program on your controller itself, not created by V-Carve, that you can test?

With the 2nd problem - are you saying you change the start position on a vector and when you recalculate the toolpath it flips back to wherever it was before? If that's the case then my guess is "I dunno."
Or are you saying that you changing the start position on the vector doesn't change the way the toolpath runs? If that's the case, see if you forgot to check the box on the toolpath that says "Use vector start points"

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I would suggest making sure you are saving it to the correct post processor.

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Or are you saying that you changing the start position on the vector doesn't change the way the toolpath runs?
Ahh, first time doing that, did not have the boxed checked.. Thanks!

Do you think that is the reason the last corners was not coming out like the rest? I need to start not on a corner?
play with whatever control software you're using
No, not at all, but the software seemed messed with for some reason. For example I could not get the Z axis to jog , went into ports and pins and noticed the Z axis was checked off. I never did that at all. Weird...

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

Does anyone know why I am getting those huge radius corners when using a .25" 60 degree v bit with a cut depth of .06?

The preview shows tight square corners but then the machine with these huge radius like I am using a .5" endmill?

TIA

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

jackson74 wrote:Does anyone know why I am getting those huge radius corners when using a .25" 60 degree v bit with a cut depth of .06?

The preview shows tight square corners but then the machine with these huge radius like I am using a .5" endmill?

TIA
JoeM suggested you check the 'Constant Velocity' settings which will do exactly this. If you slow down the XY speeds and the radius decreases, then his suggestions is the right one.
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

jackson74
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jackson74 »

If it's not doing what V-Carve says it's doing, then it's most likely your machine settings. When you worked on fixing the ballscrew did you play with whatever control software you're using, maybe during calibration? Maybe you changed the error % allowed, or flipped between "Constant Velocity" and "exact" or some other obscure box got checked. Do you have a test program on your controller itself, not created by V-Carve, that you can test?
Not sure, I had this machine airtight after 1.5 years and after 3 jobs a bearing went and I am back to ground zero.

I do not mess with mach3 calibration. Everything is set in an XML file after months of tweaking my machine.

It is very weird though because a Z axis box became checked in "Ports and Pins" and caused problems and I know I never did that (I only use the machine). I am very confused why unplugging the machine would cause weird glitches like this, but perhaps it did with "Constant Velocity" which I must check now.

BTW, I am using Aspire 8.5 with 2010 screenset in Mach3.

Just frustrating to finally have everything dialed in after all this time and after a few jobs be back to day 1 with this.

TIA