Looking for some flourish...

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ampapa
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: N/A

Re: Looking for some flurish...

Post by ampapa »

Can I ask a stupid question...

When trying to node edit my image it turns to a contrasted color but would be helpful if it were color.
SNAG-0026.jpg
How do I make it stay color?

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Are you referring to the picture ???
If so, simply right click on the image and you should get a drop down menu that has a " Object Property" option
That will allow you to set the density of the colour of the picture.

Michael
Attachments
OB.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

Yes, thank you!

I've been struggling with that for a bit and couldn't figure out where the setting was..

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
I've been thinking about this project and have come to the realization that this type of project would be perfect for the third day of the 3 day seminars Gary Campbell and I are offering ( www.cncseminars.com)

Our intent is to have, on that third day, the attendees offer what issues, problems, or specific question they want to have answered.
It is one way to ensure that those attending get real solutions to their questions...

I could see something like this taking maybe 1 hour.
Everyone could follow along on their computer, see the little extras that I do, and ask questions along the way.

Thanks for giving me a solid idea to work with

Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

That's awesome glad I could help... ;-) lol! I must say that until you get in and use it on a project Aspire is hard to feel and touch if you know what I mean.

Keep us posted if your coming to Kentucky anytime...

I've finally finished the model in its rough stage but now I suppose I need to get to work on the veins and sculpting.

I am however still a bit confused on the differing heights as the models are laid on top of the "S" base. Since the "S" in this case should be the base and everything extends from there will that seem to take shape as the objects are "merged"?
SNAG-0030.jpg
ampapa,

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
From your picture it appears as if you have all the component set to "add ".....correct ??
If so, change them to "merge" and adjust the base height of each component as needed so it sits atop of the "S".
There will still be a need to tilt and fade some of the parts.
Michael

PS Where are you located...
I'll be in Lexington for about 5 weeks starting on the 15th...
Attachments
merge.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

wood400
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 7090 cnc router

Post by wood400 »

Mezalick.
Great instruction . this is an area that i would love to master. Like Ampapa lots of challenges. I see you give live tutorials around America. I am a bit too far away. Northern Ireland. If you ever make an tutorial dvd on drawing ornament with Aspire i would be very interested in purchasing.
Thanks for sharing.
Alan :) :) :) :)

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

Yes, they were set to add "merge" fixed it.

One last question and I think I can finish it up from here. Is there a way to soften the edges of the model so the transition isn't so abrupt?
SNAG-0031.jpg
Is that done with the sculpting tool or with the 2 rail sweep image when modeling the piece?

I'm in Louisville, about 1hr from Lexington. You'll be in WildCat country, don't get any on you and whatever you do - don't drink the kool-aid... lol!

ampapa,

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Use the sculpting tools, if you are looking to blend the components together, I know from previous posts that Michael uses the smoothing tool quite a lot :lol: :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Re: Looking for some flourish...

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
As Martin said, I use the smoothing tool in the sculpting option quite a bit.
It gives it the hand crafted look and a unique finish...
You could also soften each component or the entire ensemble by applying a smoothing filter..
But for me, learning how to use the sculpting tools is the essence of handcrafted work...
PS you might want to consider adding a draft first then smooth...Just another idea..

Alan,, Northern Ireland isn't that far.....I studied music at the university of Cork when I was younger...would love to see it again... :)
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

wood400
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 7090 cnc router

Post by wood400 »

Hi Mezalick, Raining here now but last week we had 31 degrees unusual for the Green Isle. If you ever do cross the pond i live in a stunning area, Portrush where the the wind blows hard in the winter.
Cheers alan :D :D :D :D
Attachments
East Strand Portrush.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

To all,
This was an enjoyable project and I hope you learned something helpful.
Ampapa, please post a picture of your finished model when you can.
I think everyone who has been following this would enjoy seeing the final product.

One comments I would like to make is that everything that was discussed here is located within the free tutorials from Vectric.
We just focused the needs on a specific design item.
With a different design, there would be other options and approaches to resolving issues, but still, all this can be found in the tutorials.

If you are looking to get a solid foundation in your understanding of the Aspire program, ( my favorite program ) I would strongly suggest making an effort to attend the Vectric User Group Meeting.

http://www.vectric.com/company/news-and-events.html

There you will have the opportunity to see first hand the workings of the Vectric programs and ask the people who really know the program inside and out..

I personally find that I come away with some new batch of information that helps me on a daily basis.

So, if you can make it, do so,,,you won’t be disappointed..
Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

One comments I would like to make is that everything that was discussed here is located within the free tutorials from Vectric.
We just focused the needs on a specific design item.
With a different design, there would be other options and approaches to resolving issues, but still, all this can be found in the tutorials.

Michael, while I would agree that the vectric tutorials are a tremendous help the one thing that they unfortunately can't help with is knowing which tools to use for different parts of a project like this. As you have said there are many ways to go about a job like this & it is your experience that has allowed you to show us just one way it could be achieved.

I think my biggest problem is probably my lack of imagination, I can't look at something like the posted flourish & picture in my head how it could be broken down into smaller parts & then replicated :lol: :lol:
By trial & error I might have been able to produce some different components using the various modelling tools within aspire & eventually ended up with something that was reasonably close if viewed from a long way away :lol: :lol: :lol: BUT it would have taken me many hours with lots of failed attempts :oops:

I haven't personally been to any of the Vectric user group meetings, booked for the last 2 UK meetings but had to cancel for health reasons so I have tried but have been to similar sorts of meetings for other things & have found I always came away with new information & new ideas so would agree that something like this is well worth attending, plus it is always good to meet like minded people & put faces to names :lol: :lol: :lol:

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

Well said Michael, users getting together not only grow your knowledge but grow your friendships...

The tutorials are extremely helpful, but if your looking for a particular technique it becomes hard to find since there are so many and some of them are long. However its more than some company's give with their software..

As you can see I modeled it on a number of layers, mostly because I wasn't certain of what I was doing but should I create a new layer and copy everything to it finish?

Off to figure out how to use the smoothing and sculpting tools.. do you perform smoothing before sculpting?
SNAG-0034.jpg
ampapa,

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
For anyone who has read anything of my answers will know that I can offer "many" ways to do something.
So for you, at this point, I would make a component of the existing visible model on a new layer and start sculpting that..
You don't lose the original stuff but you're working on a baked set of components.
One thing to do is to "turn off" the first layer or you will be shown all components.
Very confusing
~M
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com