Looking for some flourish...

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ampapa
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: N/A

Looking for some flourish...

Post by ampapa »

I thought I might see if anyone had some flourish they would be willing to share to avoid the extra work to create some.

I've looked through the gallery and found a few close items but thought I would ask anyway as they would need to be modified heavily.

ampapa,
Attachments
SNAG-0000.jpg

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Looking for some flurish...

Post by ampapa »

Using my basic skills and the flourish on the CD I've come up with the following... not perfect but a good start. I'm seriously lacking skills on how to blend these shapes together boyh artistically and technically.

Does anyone have or can they point me to a tutorial on blending techniques?

Shape heights always seem to be a problem especially if you don't want them all the same height...

Any help would be appreciated.

ampapa,
Attachments
SNAG-0009.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

ampapa.
As usual, there are many way to approach this type of project.
Here's just one way that might help.
For me, in most cases, my components are set to merge,,,I can always adjust the height of the component and use the fade and tilt to set them into their correct position.
I also use the sculpting tools a great amount of the time.
But, that's my way and there is no wrong way, just so the project turns out correctly.
Here's a few quick step to show you what I did.
1. 2 rail sweep to create the inner curve.
2. another 2 rail sweep to create the top of the shape.
3. cut out shape.
4. sculpt the shape
5. create 2 extruded shapes on a separate layer.
6. on a new layer, create a copy of the visible modle and apply the smoothing function.
As I said it's a very quick lesson,,which nees to be repeated for each leaf in the design, unless you and reuse one of the previous items.

I hope this helps,
Michael
Attachments
2 rail sweep 1.JPG
2 rail sweep 2.JPG
cut out shape.JPG
sculpt.JPG
extrude shapes.JPG
smooth.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

First let me say that is awesome!!

Did I say that is awesome! Your skills far exceed mine, but I'm willing to take on the challenge and hopefully I'll be able to bounce some questions off of you..?

The combining of objects that are different heights seem to be my biggest issues, aside from the creation of new objects, blending and transitioning from lower to higher as objects are layered onto one another. This is obvious from my prior post as I attempt to go another route using some of the already created flourish but not really liking the outcome. I do have some leeway with this project, as its for a relative, but maybe it makes more sense to attempt to learn something new and to try to create the flourish as you've done.

The 2 rail sweep as you have shown is the obvious route to go. So thinking ahead as I always seem to do... I'm looking at one of the smaller leaves that have a small "tail" for lack of a better word. When performing the 2 rail sweep won't it give a smooth radius, how would you perform that task? Possibly join 2 pieces together?

Would you be willing to share the file you created so I can view the data first hand?

Many thanks for the demonstration...

ampapa,

sebashtionh
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: pilot pro 2642

Post by sebashtionh »

thank you this is AWESOME

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

mezalick,

Can you help me understand steps 5 and 6 a little. I'm guessing the layers are needed so that you can join the pieces..?

Also, are you using the same radius pieces for both the inner and outer models? (see attached) It would seem that they would need to match up when you "weld" them together.

ampapa,
Attachments
SNAG-0011.jpg

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
Step 5..
Putting the two extruded shapes on a new layer allows me to set their properties to merge, and adjust as needed,,,, BUT,,, having that layer set to add will allow that shape to follow the contours of the leaf...

Step 6..
I always make a copy of the visible model to do my final sculpting to the entire piece.
This keeps all the individual components and makes a separate combined component to sculpt...

The radius can be whatever you want it to be...I just trace what I see.

As for your previous request for a complete file...It would take some time to generate that and I truly doubt that most people could follow what I did by simply looking at my file..I work in an unusual pattern,,,,sometimes I even get lost...
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

Yes, I understand we all work differently.

I'm having a little issue with the inner portion of the model. I'm setting the sweep to start on the left but its modeling in reverse, how do I reverse that?
SNAG-0015.jpg
As I think ahead, applying this technique will be different on the other leaves as they have leaves that protrude form the radius, how would you approach that?
SNAG-0006.jpg
ampapa,

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
For the curl,
You can see in the last picture posted that I lowered the height of the component and tilted it slightly to align with the upper part of the leaf.
I believe in the old saying " What you see is what you get",,,and I work to make the components do exactly what I want.

As for the second leaf,, more 2 rail sweep stuff.
I just try to envision what the profile would be if I cut it in half..
That's the shape I use for the vectors.
And after some sculpting, adding a draft and smoothing,,it comes out to be an acceptable component.

For me, there's a lot of unknowns of what is needed to do until I get to that point...
Being efficient in your choices of how to make an component behave as you want them too is an important factor.
If you don't know what tool or option to choose, you'll end up wasting time..so the moral of the story is practice and remember what you did, or you'll need to learn it over again..

Michael
Attachments
flourish 2.JPG
flourish 2b.JPG
flourish 2c.JPG
flourish 2d.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
It looks as if I forgot to add the inner curl to the second leaf...

Please know that I'm doing this very quickly just to give some suggestions on what steps may be involved.
If I was making this as a custom model I would spend much more time to make sure everything lines up..

Michael
Attachments
curl 2a.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

So, after a bit of thinking about the entire project I might have considered first creating the sweeping shape then add the leaves to the top of it..
Many ways to do this,,,just more information ...

Michael
Attachments
curls.JPG
curls 3b.JPG
curls 3c.JPG
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

Thanks Michael.

I'm making some progress but am confused by your image 5 in the first.

What are you doing there for the leaf vein? are you creating a "V" and "n" and them combining them, not sure I understand that?
SNAG-0024.jpg
ampapa,

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks to me like he has extruded the semi circle along the vector he drew but I could be wrong :lol: :lol:

mezalick
Vectric Wizard

Post by mezalick »

ampapa,
For the vein I first made a "V" and then a smaller "half circle " ( extruded shape )
I then had their properties set to merge ( on a new layer ) so I can control the height of the half circle when compared to the V.
I could have made a simple vector that combined both but this was a much faster way for me..

I really don't like to bake items together because I may change my mind sometime down the road.

Martin,,I get the feeling you're understanding this process very well. :)

Michael
Michael Mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

ampapa
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ampapa »

I'll give that a go then... I'm learning quite a bit from this project and appreciate the tutorial...

Here is where I am at the moment. I assume because I drew them on different layers once combined and set to merge the heights should adjust..
SNAG-0025.jpg
ampapa,