Constructing a gear (improved version)

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
flyforever
Model of CNC Machine: k2cnc

Re: Constructing a gear (improved version)

Post by flyforever »

Mike, thank you for the fantastic "mod". It will make make gears much easier.
I am having difficulty replicating the gear in your example on my CAD. The problem is figuring out the correct OD and RRD using your .8 factor. Based on your 2.5" inner diameter circle example, can you please provide the actual calculation that would result in the other two diameters? I know you've provided it, but all my math, for some reason, does not correspond correctly. All the other information is clear and easy to follow. However, when I have the two(addendum and dedendum circles drawn, their points of intersect is off, so I am still reviewing all the calculations and my understanding of them.

Thanks
tony

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Mike, I have coded up your method, hopefully correctly. It is a stand-alone program that creates a CSV file that the CSV gadget can read into VCP or Aspire. Takes about 10 seconds from start to vectors in VCP/Aspire.

Would you be interested in test-driving it, perhaps comparing to the designs you have made? If so, PM me and I will send you a download link.
Cheers!
Attachments
Gear 1.png
Gear 1 exe.png
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

If anyone is interested in a coded approach to making Mike's gears, I have attached a zipped executable. It is pretty robust, but can still crash if you try to make designs with very few teeth etc. The title to the graph shows any warnings etc.
Change the parameters as you want, and the diagram will update when the mouse moves around a bit. You can save the design in CSV or EPS formats for importing into VCarve-Pro or Aspire. You can also grab the images and save/copy for documenting your design. You can also toggle the construction lines. The lines and marked points should make sense if you have followed Mike's graphical instructions.

Mike has caught several errors and made several good suggestions (thanks!). Any bugs though are 100% my responsibility. All comments are welcome.

Updates will be posted to my website.
Cheers!
Attachments
FIM_Gear 20160703d.zip
Although I believe my machines are healthy, please run Anti-virus on zipped contents to ensure you don't catch a cold ...
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 353 times
FIM_1.png
FIM_2.png
Getting close to unusable design ...
Getting close to unusable design ...
Paul Rowntree

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks Paul, great collaborative effort.

Interior teeth and Rack don't seem to work. Are these future options?
John
Maker of Chips

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

highpockets wrote:Thanks Paul, great collaborative effort.

Interior teeth and Rack don't seem to work. Are these future options?
Thanks Highpockets ! Those controls are disabled, no code behind the buttons. I will work on them in a bit, perhaps in a week.

BTW the popup box is a bit annoying if the parameters are wrong ... this version has a better way of drawing attention to problems ... I think the layout is better too.
Attachments
FIM_Gear 20160703f.zip
Run anti-virus scans ... just in case ...
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
Paul Rowntree

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Thanks Paul,

I too like the layout better.
John
Maker of Chips

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Thanks Paul. I've been hoping someone would code my method and make it easier to use. And you did it in a way that can be used by anyone, not just inside a Vectric program. I'm impressed.

Is there some way to post it on the Vectric Gadgets information page? Especially since, in my humble (?) opinion, it is better than the gear gadget.

Mike
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

FixitMike wrote:Thanks Paul. I've been hoping someone would code my method and make it easier to use. And you did it in a way that can be used by anyone, not just inside a Vectric program. I'm impressed.

Is there some way to post it on the Vectric Gadgets information page? Especially since, in my humble (?) opinion, it is better than the gear gadget.

Mike
It has been fun watching this one converge. I like being able to develop the design on screen, which is hard with a gadget. I will ask about the gadgets page ...
Paul Rowntree

Frunple

Post by Frunple »

http://geargenerator.com/

Many others online as well.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Frunple wrote:http://geargenerator.com/

Many others online as well.
This one, as well as all of the others I have seen, are for gear contours as generated by a hob, with sharp internal corners at the roots of the teeth. You cannot cut these contours with a CNC router unless you use a special bit with a 4th axis indexer. In addition, most of them do not allow for backlash, which is necessary for smooth operation of two gears together.

Please see the full thread for an explanation of why the method that constructs a full radius root is more suitable for a CNC cut.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

pviljoen
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AvidCNC

Post by pviljoen »

Thanks for the tool. It is highly appreciated.
My understanding of gears is very limited so here goes.
I need to create a planetary gear that rotates at the same speed as the outer rim of a device. There is a strut connection between the planetary outer gear and to the angle of attack on the outer rim. See diagrams below.
My question is, if the central axle gear is stationary, can it be used to make small adjustments to the angle of attack on the outer rim.
Attachments
Cyclorotora.png