vase project

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

vase project

Post by martin54 »

I don't normally post in the gallery but thought I had better put this one in as I had already asked some questions about cutting with or against the grain. This is taken from a vectric project by Michael. It is slightly larger than the original & the dome is a little flatter, that was actually an error, I thought I had to reduce the height of the dome because I was adding a component to it which I didn't have to do.
Front & back are Yew which I had never machined before but was very pleased with results, there are a few cracks/splits which I couldn't avoid. I picked up a few bits of yew at a good price because of this damage, with some projects I think they actually help to enhance the finished item (give it a bit of character) but don't think they really help in this case.
The 2 centre pieces are beech, I wanted a contrasting colour & had a bit of beech that happened to be the right sort of size & thickness, quite often I will use hornbeam or lime if I want a light coloured wood but I felt that this bit of beech was light enough. front & back are finished with Danish oil & the whole thing coated with clear varnish once glued together. I didn't want to coat the beech with Danish oil as it darkens the wood & I wanted to try & keep the contrast.
celtic vase 5.jpg
Just to give an idea how much Danish oil can darken a wood this picture is of a holder I made from the same piece of beech as the vase centres, the holder was given 3 coats of Danish oil as a finish.
holders6.jpg

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Re: vase project

Post by bravesoul »

Martin,

That looks really nice, would you mind sharing the file? If not I understand but I do like your's alot. If you can but want to leave out the 3d file, that's fine, I have plenty to add to it. Thanks for sharing, I have to get better at that myself and will starting doing so soon.

Joe

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Joe, its one of the vectric projects by Michael Tyler, you can find it here

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... yVase.html

All I did was increased the size a little to fit the board width I had & added a 3d model instead of v carving & doing the inlay. The model is one of the ones that come with VCP8, all I did was place it & enlarge it to suit the front of the vase :lol: :lol:

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Came out NICE Martin:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great job Martin!

I've looked at that vase just need a round to it...
John
Maker of Chips

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Been wanting to do one of those. Yours looks great, love it. Thank you for sharing.

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Martin,

Thanks for the info, I'll download it from Vectric and give it a shot soon.

Joe

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the comments People, I do plan to have a go at the original inlay project but with a different vcarve design to the original. Having decided to use Yew for the back & front of this one I felt it would look better overall with a carved model rather than an inlay. With the colouring in the wood & an inlay I think there would have been to much going on :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some Oak which is fairly plain so will use that for an inlay vase, just need to sort out a suitable design, probably keep the same Celtic theme on it though.

If this works out anything like the Paradise Box I will end up making quite a few of them at different sizes :lol: :lol: :lol:

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Martin, that came out beautifully! I love the contrasting wood and the weaved model on the face of the vase. Very, very nice!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

AndyPitts
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot desktop

Post by AndyPitts »

Well done, Martin, and thanks for the beech comparisons.
Andy Pitts
AndrewPittsFurnitureMaker.com
YouTube AndyPitts1000

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

Martin,
Good job, like the Yew!
I may make a couple too.. thanks

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I seem to have got stuck on a theme here, did this earlier today but not cut yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

square vase.JPG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Nice design to be stuck on.

What did you use to coat the inside, assuming it's meant to hold liquid.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I doubt if these are really meant to hold a liquid but I did coat the inside. What I did was to glue the 2 centre pieces together first, then I taped all the contact points on front, back & centre part to prevent them being covered. The inside of all parts were coated the same as the outside so danish oil for front & back & clear varnish for centre. Once the parts were dry I removed the tape & did the final glue up. I did use an exterior wood glue so in theory it should hold water :lol: :lol:

If I were to do one that was capable of holding water I would probably use the same process to ensure the whole of the inside was coated properly but use a more suitable coating.