Need help cutting small letters

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Need help cutting small letters

Post by scottp55 »

:)
Martin, Your signmaking background is showing:)
Sometimes we're just happy it cut and was an improvement :D
Good constructive comments!
HP, Looks good, but looks like last dark coat is bleeding a lot?
I seem to remember after carving that most people with good clean results I've admired, are giving one(or more) thin coats of clear to the now bare wood to prevent that.
Possibly changing from a penetrating oil like Watco, to maybe a gel stain and and a quick wipe off...or even a paint might be better?
Feels good when it's tiny and cuts clean...Doesn't it? :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Martin,

Never said you against MDF. I appreciate you reminding me that MDF is hard on bits. :D

Thanks for the great critique, I'll work on the layout a bit. Most of the placement was copying the original Las Vegas sign. I guess I can fudge a bit and who would know. I'm also changing the lettering over to VCarve.

Wish I had your access to good wood and the room to put it. I'm a bit cramped for space so I have to plan a project get just enough wood to do the project and move on.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Scott,

You nailed it, I'm just so happy to get clean cut small letters I can't see straight :D

I didn't seal the wood after carving, I just applied the Dark Walnut and got lots of bleeding. My next test will include a sealing coat of shellac before applying either a gel stain or paint. I've had good luck with just sealing then painting to produce a crisp clean lettering.

The amazing part about cutting these small letters is the scrap wood I used. It's Aspen, untreated it looks like a shaggy dog after carving. I used it on the signs I made for the "Relay for Life" project. Took for ever to clean up and sand. Never again. Finishing the wood first then carving made all the difference in the world. Still won't use Aspen again though :D

Thanks guys for all your help!
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Here's the new layout. I like it a lot better. It pops.

Martin, I worked on the letters just a little bit. Thanks.
Ring Box Las Vegas Lid 2.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

New lay out looks much better! :)
For stubborn Maple fuzzies, a good stiff bristle brush,or a bamboo skewer works great.
For the most part the denser, close grained, SMALL pored wood are best for teeny stuff.
Try giving his 30degree bits a shot at tiny 3D stuff like those 1.25" Moose also:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Scott,

Once you prep the wood and carve the text etc, what do you put on the text and carving to keep it from bleeding when you apply a fill color to the text etc?

I did a test prepping the wood with Watco Danish Oil, carved the test text then wiped on some more Danish Oil. I then used some paint to color the text. The paint soaked into the finish and some bleeding in on the edges of the text. I had to sand the surface again to get rid of the paint on the surface around the text.

There has to be a better way.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Can't help you much there, as I'm a straight oil guy by nature, and normally get enough contrast by the end grain soak up.
There have been quite a few threads on bleeding avoidance. I think If I were doing it I might try a couple coats of a dewaxed shellac(ZZinser sanding/sealer?) as shellac will stick to most anything and vice versa.
Seem to remember people getting decent results with acrylic paints/stencil paint/and others. and then sanding or immediate wipe off.
Google this forum and then search terms and stuff should pop up.
Hopefully someone who infills will pop up and chime in.
Sorry no help:(
scott
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I'm the same as Scott, just used oil to finish & not done any paint infills yet although I keep saying I must try it at some point. Here is one thread to get you started, there are quite a lot on the topic if you try a search on the forum

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... xt#p161308

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

martin54 wrote:I'm the same as Scott, just used oil to finish & not done any paint infills yet although I keep saying I must try it at some point. Here is one thread to get you started, there are quite a lot on the topic if you try a search on the forum

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... xt#p161308
Thanks Martin, I've read this and several other threads on the subject and I've had pretty good luck with them (when I've done the correctly). Just have never used Watco Danish Oil on a carved project before and my first attempt at coloring the letters had some minor bleeding (probably that only members of the forum would notice). Just trying to improve my skills.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

scottp55 wrote:Can't help you much there, as I'm a straight oil guy by nature, and normally get enough contrast by the end grain soak up.
There have been quite a few threads on bleeding avoidance. I think If I were doing it I might try a couple coats of a dewaxed shellac(ZZinser sanding/sealer?) as shellac will stick to most anything and vice versa.
Seem to remember people getting decent results with acrylic paints/stencil paint/and others. and then sanding or immediate wipe off.
Google this forum and then search terms and stuff should pop up.
Hopefully someone who infills will pop up and chime in.
Sorry no help:(
scott
Scott,

I'm working on some test pieces right not, before screwing up the real deal. Having just a little bleeding issue after carving and adding more Danish Oil. Your stuff comes out so great I just figured you had all the answers ;-}

Acrylic paint might not be the best choice, may try something like a stencil paint or may be some gel stain, been wanting to get some to try.
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

I played with a Cherry gel stain after seeing CarveOne and Randall's work, but Cherry wasn't the right choice, and I think I only had 2 coats of Linseed on the hard Maple and had the same problem as you so stopped playing.
Plan on picking up some General Finishes Java gel stain(CarveOne uses it a lot) in future to experiment with Glazing Maple 3D's, but will probably go my full 3 coats, and then LIGHTLY apply and immediately wipe off 3D's and reapply as needed for effect.
NOT very good at it, and not really my style, but I'll play with it.
I used a Franklin gel and wasn't really happy.
Read the other threads and look at pics and methods.
I'm a newbie at the effect you want:)
scott
R.N.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

You can seal the letters with either the shellac or even poly. Just make sure to get enough coats to completely seal it. Then paint and done. I always use a mask so I can just peel it off and paint it without worrying about being neat. Works every time for me.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

It's been a while since I started this project and several life events have gotten in the way, but now it's finished and the bride is happy, which is all that matters.
Thanks to everyone for all the help.
2016-06-30 11.16.28.jpg
2016-06-30 11.16.37.jpg
2016-06-30 11.17.54.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

ablesser
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve

Post by ablesser »

Hi Highpockets,

I'm trying to do something similar to what you're doing, and I see that I even have the same bit as you. At one point you mentioned that you got success following Scott's suggestions, but from my reading carefully over the thread it's not exactly clear what feeds/speeds/depths you used.

I'm looking to replicate your success.. any chance you would be able to tell me:

-Feeds/speeds (guessing IPM 30/15 for feed/plunge 16k for speed?)
-Depth of cut

Any advice on wether this is a fool's errand with plywood ?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Here's a little fun project that will give you all the information on setting.

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ken+dinner

Look at the 5th post, I posted the CRV file

Hope this helps....
John
Maker of Chips