Using all of my 48x96 ShopBot router

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 2008 48x96 ShopBot spindle and Aspire

Using all of my 48x96 ShopBot router

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

So what do I make with my 48x96 ShopBot, why little model train stuff of course! Using 1 mm sintra, a 1/16th in tapered ball nose, and some two sided tape, I made this 1/48th scale O scale stock car. Opens lots of possibilties for me, plus it was a lot of fun! :D Russ

That's a quarter leaning on the stock car:

Commercial kit on left, Vectric model on right:

AKA: The Train Guy!

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Re: Using all of my 48x96 ShopBot router

Post by ohiococonut »

Russ,
That's really nice. I know how long it can take to create files to cut out on a cnc. I recently bought 3 sets of train plans designed for scroll saw users and have been measuring and creating files so I only have to do it once instead of tracing them out each time. There are two more sets I still have to purchase and I'm guessing together they'll be a little over 8' long when completed.
It's time consuming but in the end it will save most if not all of the hand work fitting the pieces together since some of the prints leave a lot to be desired. Using the two rail sweep made it easy to duplicate the little 3/8" rail they'll sit on.

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Excellent.
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

So I'm guessing you either had to tile it or cut multiple boards on such a tiny CNC :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks really good, you can probably get sintra in a brown colour although maybe not as dark as the commercial box. So what happens about the rest of it? Not a model railway person myself so don't know what is available chassis/axle wise but guessing there must be something if you have made the box or is that the next part of the project :lol: :lol:

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

"So what happens about the rest of it?" Fortunately there are several companies that make the rest of it. Actually there are a couple that make this same rail car but they run about $50 each and have not been available for the last year or so. So since my buddy and I need about 40 or so of this particular car and the body part will only cost about $4 each! :mrgreen: Takes about 6 minutes to cut and about the same for cleanup and then a little pvc glue and its ready to go. Painting is just a little rattle can treatment and a little chalk weathering (which covers up any glue up issues :lol: ). Russ

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

What a great surprise I got today! Got an email about this month's Vectric Newsletter and when I opened it, this little project was one of the featured posts, pretty cool! Thank you Vectric, I couldn't do it without ya! :D Russ

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Great Design :lol:
Thank You
Doug

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Thanks Doug, the prototype lives only about 4 hours away from where you live! Love Chama NM! Russ

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

A great project. Did you use Aspire or VCP? When used together, the precision of the Shopbot and Vectric products are truly amazing. Of course, your work and level of detail is amazing also.
Steve

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

Aspire and some simple measurements. Using the ability of Aspire tool-pathing to cut outside, inside or on the line gives you so much power. The sides for example are actually three separate tool paths. Some of the slates openings are simply a single pass with a 1/16th in ball nose bit ON the line, other openings are cut INSIDE the space and of course lastly it's cutout by using the path OUTSIDE the rectangle of the side. The material is 1mm pvc held down with two sided tape. To me my favorite tool in the Aspire tool box is those little scissors! I LOVE EM! :mrgreen: Russ

BArnold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SO2/XCarve hybrid w/NEMA23 on all axes

Post by BArnold »

Excellent project, Russ! Congratulations for the recognition by Vectric. :!: