Tool Database disapeared

RRG
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Tool Database disapeared

Post by RRG »

My database of tools is blank all of the sudden, and I can't get them back.

Here are details:
I'm running the Aspire 8. I've looked under Toolpaths "Select" and "Edit", and also under the top menu Toolpaths > Tool Database and the window opens but the left side is totally blank, not even the default categories are in there. I am able to add new categories and tools but I don't really want to enter the 25-30 tools again because I can't remember all the feeds and speeds I had set up. I tried "Import" and then searched my C drive for ".tool_db" and found a file in an appropriate place that must be it but when I open it nothing happens. I've tried restarting the program and the computer several times.

I'm out of ideas, any help would be much appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool Database disapeared

Post by Adrian »

Go to the File menu in Aspire and click on Open Application Data Folder. In the window that opens there will be a folder called ToolDatabase and within that will be tools.tool_db file that is your tool database. Sounds like there might be a disk or access right problem to that file.

It's always a good idea to add the tool database folder to your backup cycle in case of problems.

RRG

Post by RRG »

I actually have tried that already and it wouldn't let me open the file. It says "what program do you want to use to open the file" and there is no way that I can make Aspire open it.

Thanks for telling me though, cause that makes me think that is the correct way to do it.

I don't know why my computer wont let me open it? Any computer wiz's out there?

bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Post by bbiehl »

RRG,
You can't open the tools.tool_db file from that folder. Aspire or Vcarve needs to access it from that folder when you open the program. What is the size of the file, mine is 87KB and I have 30 or so tools defined. Also what is the date? Have you modified the tool database lately?

-brian

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As Brian says you can't open that file directly. Aspire loads it itself when it starts.

I pointed you in that direction so you could see if there were any problems with the file etc.

Have you run a disk check to see if you have any problems with the hard disk etc? In all the years I've been using the Vectric products I've never had a tool database corrupt on me so I would suspect it's a sign of something wrong with the PC, either hardware or permissions.

My database is 85kb in size and a fresh one should be about 33kb.

RRG

Post by RRG »

Screen Capture
Screen Capture
I just checked the size of the file and I see that it's showing that is only 3kb and it was modified yesterday. So that must be because I added one tool yesterday so I could work on a job.

I wish I had looked at the size before doing that. I'm attaching a screen capture of the file for reference.

I haven't run a disk check. I'm not sure how. But I'll research it and do it. I'm a Mac person, PC's are relatively foreign to me. I'll try to learn about "permissions" too. If I get too lost I'll just re-enter the tools and be sure to back up that file somewhere.

bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Post by bbiehl »

RRG,
When you finish adding all your tools again, go to the toolpath folder and make a copy in that folder. Select the file, right click COPY then PASTE. It will save a copy. If you lose the data in the file again, just rename the copied file.

-brian