A DXF Batch Processor - Post-processor

This forum has been created for users to submit suggestions for Gadgets
bswdcad
Model of CNC Machine: MasterWood

A DXF Batch Processor - Post-processor

Post by bswdcad »

I have a lot of DXF files that I need to convert into gcode for a router machine using VCarve and I searched for a way to make the things as automatic as possible. I found a gadget called DXF Batch Processor who basically is taking a bunch of DXF file and is nesting all the shapes into a single document. This is useful for some, but I can't use this gadget in my particular case.

I need a gadget who basically reads a bunch of DXF files (individually), is applying a Toolpath Template using "Associate with toolpath" from Vector Selection to every layer from the DXF file, is applying a defined origin and material thickness and is saving a CRV file (separate for every DXF) and generate the Gcode file (separate for every DXF) using a defined post-processor into the same directory as the DXF files are located.

This kind of gadget will speed-up a lot my work, because right now I need to manually do all this operations to a lot of DXF files and is time consuming and boring :( .

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: A DXF Batch Processor - Post-processor

Post by ger21 »

We used to use a program called CadCode to do what you're asking. It's quite expensive, but works very well. It can probably create individual g-code programs for 1000 .dxf files in under a minute.
However, It's unlikely that it would work without editing your layer names. I haven't used it in about 6-7 years, so I don't know about the current versions capabilities.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

bswdcad
Model of CNC Machine: MasterWood

Post by bswdcad »

Whell, the point is to add similar functionality to Vcarve-Aspire.

I know that this kind of functionality exists in other (more expensive) packages, like AlphaCAM, but usually they are out of reach of normal users.

So, adding a DXF pro - post-processor will make Vcarve and Aspire an even more compelling option to other CAM packages.

zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Yes. please. I also need this myself. Very useful idea who can save a lot of time.