Manipulating the Bears in the Forest portrait

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Manipulating the Bears in the Forest portrait

Post by vgraves »

There have been a few posts highlighting a nice 3d relief portrait of some bears in a forest.
BearPortrait.jpg
For those who couldn't attend the 2015 McGrew's Camp, Michael Mezalick discussed this model in one of his presentations. He noted that if someone wanted to scale the model to 3/4-inch thickness for machining in MDF, then there are some really thin spots which could easily be damaged while handling (or even during cutting). He then proceeded to show a method of thickening the inner portion of the portrait (not the frame) by using a technique similar to the one demonstrated in the Creating a Dished Recess tutorial in which a Multiply combine model is used to raise the edges more than the center portion. As he stated, one disadvantage of this method was that some detail was lost around the edges of the portrait.

After the camp I decided I'd like to try one of these large 3d portraits, so I found the model on ebay (just search for "cnc 3d relief stl bears" and you should find it) and purchased it. Turns out I bought it on a Russian holiday, because it took a couple of days to receive the download link for it! After playing around with it a bit, I also wanted to thicken it somewhat, but I used a tilt to accomplish the effect.

When I imported the model into Aspire, I scaled its original thickness to 0.75 inch, which resulted in a portrait size of 17.5 X 24.7. The low spot of the model is the flat region in the top middle, and the remaining thickness is only about 0.060". Notice how much of the interior frame is visible at the top of the portrait.
original.png
To modify only the interior of the portrait, I created a rectangle vectors around the interior of the frame and obtained separate frame and image components by using Split Component tool. Once I had the bear image separated from the frame, I just used the Tilt command to raise the top edge, which gave me a thickness in the problem area of approximately 1/4 inch. Notice how there is less interior frame visible at the top in this image, but the bottom isn't really different.
tilted.png
Anyway, this is another method of accomplishing the same goal, but it doesn't lose any edge detail. Apologies to Michael if I misrepresented his presentation. I found the presentation very informative, and it inspired me to try this myself! Now all I have to do is set aside a whole weekend to cut this!

Van

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Manipulating the Bears in the Forest portrait

Post by zeeway »

Very creative thinking on yet another way to use an Aspire feature. When I see a demo by the masters, I am amazed at their thinking process that led their imagination to the path to their goal. Aspire has the tools, if we can but find a way to use them. Your post helps on several fronts. Thanks.

Angie

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Bravo Van !!!
Yet another way to work around a possible problem.
This now gives me more to think about.... :)

Thanks for posting.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

My background in 3D modeling is mechanical CAD systems like SolidWorks and Creo, so learning to think in terms of variable-height pin cushions is new to me. I appreciate those who continue to push the boundaries of the software and share their efforts with us newbies. Examples of using the Aspire tools in perhaps non-standard ways is always a good thing!

Van

drrobin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Handibot

Post by drrobin »

I just purchased this bear in the woods stl and would like to be able to use the 3/4 MDF board. I don't have Aspire, I have VCarve Pro. Since this is an STL file, are there any options for me to 'edit' this? Thanks, Robin

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I think another work around is to use thicker material.

I know that the big box stores don't carry it, but the lumber yards often do.

It can also be laminated.

Another possibility is a series of 2x6's jointed and glued together.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Michel D
Model of CNC Machine: Shop boot buddy

Post by Michel D »

Hi Every one,

I found the original Bears in the forest picture on the web and I'm asking how we can transform it in 3d component to get te same result like the one we see here ?

Aspire can do it or I need an another software ?

Tanks in advance

Michel

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

There is no software that can change a 2D picture into a 3D model. A picture lacks the height information to make a third dimension. Aspire will easily turn a picture into a lithophane, but not a physical model like the bears.

Michel D

Post by Michel D »

Thank you Mike

The portrait we speak here come from a picture in 2d. I don't think that the person made it from zero.

So, It woul be very interesting to find what is the procedure for that.

Some one have somes ideas ?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Michel,
Review the video tutorials here: 3D Core Concepts & Features
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

AJF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSstandard 48x96
Location: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne outside of Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Post by AJF »

It seems the STL file that was available on E-Bay is no longer available. I've not yet had any success finding this file available from any other site. Any one know of some other site you can purchase this file from. Did find out though that original image is a 1889 painting by a Russian artist called "Morning in A Pine Forest".

greggph
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Hybrid

Post by greggph »

AJF wrote:It seems the STL file that was available on E-Bay is no longer available. I've not yet had any success finding this file available from any other site. Any one know of some other site you can purchase this file from. Did find out though that original image is a 1889 painting by a Russian artist called "Morning in A Pine Forest".

Try this link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3d-STL-Relief-M ... SwPcVVuKKS

Here is a link to the seller in case the above link does not work.
http://stores.ebay.com/prestiggge?_trks ... 7675.l2563

Michel D

Post by Michel D »

Permit me to be more precise. I bought the file in STL format there are many weeks. Since this time I make a wood panel with my cnc 24" x 33". I will post a picture more later. I must say it's amazing.

So my question concern how we can take an original picture like this one and make a stl file or vectric file for our cnc. I read a lot about Profile, sculture , two sweep rails ect.. in aspire. For to get the same result what technic the autor was using ?

Thanks

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

So my question concern how we can take an original picture like this one and make a stl file or vectric file for our cnc. I read a lot about Profile, sculture , two sweep rails ect.. in aspire. For to get the same result what technic the autor was using ?
It is a process of using all of those tools. Please review the tutorials here: ->3D Core Concepts & Features
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

bbiehl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick II 3x5; Aspire 11.5

Post by bbiehl »

I downloaded the file yesterday & unziped it. The stl file was 288MB. I brought it into Aspire. It needed to be 600x400 x 14"thick. I created a finish toolpath (it took a half hour or so). The resulting toolpath said it would take almost 3000 hours. The saved crv3d file was 570MB. Is anyone else getting numbers like this?

-brian