Spindle speed

marlondave
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Spindle speed

Post by marlondave »

I use a spindle with a speed controller which is a stand-alone (not configured to the Mach3 software I use). What process or procedure can I use to determine what speed (rpm) my spindle is running.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Spindle speed

Post by IslaWW »

Is this a 3 phase spindle with a VFD or a DC spindle? If 3 phase with VFD, the VFD display usually displays RPM or Htz. To convert Htz to RPM multiply by 60
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

When I was testing to see if the readout on my VFD was lined up with what I thought what RPM it indicated, I used an optical tachometer. I think mine was around $30 off of Amazon. I stuck a little piece of reflective white sign vinyl on the spindle nut, shut the fluorescent lights off, shined an LED flashlight on it, and pointed the tach at it. It worked for me.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If it's the chinese variety then most will display both the spindle RPM & the set frequency Hz. This is only the set speed though, no feedback from the spindle so no speed compensation for load. If you want to know the actual speed then you would need something like the tach Chris mentioned.
Mine isn't tied in to mach3 either, I just stop, start & change speed manually. Even when hooked up to mach3 it is still only a set speed as once again there is no feedback on actual speed.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If you'd like to connect you spindle speed control to your Mach3 SuperPID is a great option http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm
And it compensates for load.
John
Maker of Chips