Finally Cut a Paradise Box

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Finally Cut a Paradise Box

Post by davemartin88 »

Have been wanting to cut one of these for a while and finally got around to it. Instructions excellent. May do some variations next time but wanted to do an original version first. Dark wood is some walnut from a neighbors tree and light wood with the red streak is Mulberry I think. Cut some wood for a guy a few years back and we found this one log on the pile so he gave me a piece. No finish yet, will just do something clear.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Re: Finally Cut a Paradise Box

Post by CarveOne »

The red streaked wood is box elder. I have some of it and will use it on my next guitar project.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This has to be one of my favourite Vectric Projects, seen lots of different ideas on the forum so now you have done the original then have a go at your own version :lol:
Funny enough I have never made one of the (complete) original boxes, always used the supplied shape but my own designs rather than the one provided in the tutorial, made them at different sizes as well but all based on the original box shape. Had lots of fun making them.

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

The guy that gave me the log thought it was from a Mulberry tree but Box Elder sounds more likely! Wish I had some more of it, thanks.

gscott40
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 58

Post by gscott40 »

Very nicely done. Yes, Box Elder has interesting color. Great for bowls but the color isn't in every Box Elder tree. You might try some Red Cedar (Aromatic Cedar)...it cuts nicely (soft), smells great, until you finish it, and has great color. This is one of my favorite projects also.
George
Fridley, MN
Legacy Arty, Aspire, CCAM

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

I bought a new manual sawmill a couple of weeks ago and one of the first logs I cut was a piece of cedar! Did a few ovals that I'll use for signs once dried. Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpeg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

martin54 wrote:This has to be one of my favourite Vectric Projects, seen lots of different ideas on the forum so now you have done the original then have a go at your own version :lol:
Funny enough I have never made one of the (complete) original boxes, always used the supplied shape but my own designs rather than the one provided in the tutorial, made them at different sizes as well but all based on the original box shape. Had lots of fun making them.
Where's the photos? I wanna see 'em!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

davemartin88 wrote:Have been wanting to cut one of these for a while and finally got around to it. Instructions excellent. May do some variations next time but wanted to do an original version first. Dark wood is some walnut from a neighbors tree and light wood with the red streak is Mulberry I think. Cut some wood for a guy a few years back and we found this one log on the pile so he gave me a piece. No finish yet, will just do something clear.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Beautiful job, Dave. I love the wood choices!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

mtylerfl wrote:Where's the photos? I wanna see 'em!
MEEE TOOO
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

davism5

Post by davism5 »

davemartin88 wrote:The guy that gave me the log thought it was from a Mulberry tree but Box Elder sounds more likely! Wish I had some more of it, thanks.
The red in Box Elder will fade very rapidly... within days. I don't know how much a finish protects against this (my experience is with cutting and splitting firewood), but I'd get something on there pretty quick.

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

I have one coat of a rubbed oil finish on the box and will do a second today. The red has held up pretty well, faded a bit but the original board has been setting around for a few years and is bright enough that it almost always draws a comment when someone sees it for the first time. Will keep my eyes open for some more of it now that I know what to ask for.

Off topic but I try not to "buy" any hardwood, got a lot over the years by cutting on shares if the wood was interesting. Now that I have the small manual mill again, I've put the word out that if you have one or two logs of something other than pine or oak, we might be able to work something out.

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

Pen turners refer to the wood as flame box elder because of the red streaks. Some believe it's caused by a fungus but it's never been proven. I've made pens and bowls out of it and after I applied a finish to them they never faded. I've got probably half a dozen 3' logs of it that have been drying in my shed for about 4 yrs. What's strange is even though I never sealed the ends they have not split from drying. Not all box elder trees exhibit the red streaks either but the color is one sure way to identify the wood species.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Haha, I'm funny about posting things I have done on forums Michael, very critical about what I do so very little of what I do ever makes it to places like this. Woodworking is something that is still very new to me, was one of the few subjects I was good at while at school but never kept that up when I left.
Been on a signmaking forum for well over 10 years, post a lot with help & advice where I can but think I have ever only posted one or 2 jobs I have done. Most of it is just bread & butter stuff so not really worthy of posting.
Having said that I love encouraging other people :lol: :lol: :lol: