Pocket hole gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
djcregan
Model of CNC Machine: Cnc Router with Linear ATC

Pocket hole gadget

Post by djcregan »

Hi

Hi
I'm looking for a gadget to produce pocket holes like the Kreg system used for cabinets.
Thermwood in the US have one, here is some details.

Here is an example from Thermwood:

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=13769

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Re: Pocket hole gadget

Post by Bob Jr »

dj
Is this what you're describing.
I played with the fluting toolpath a little, and came up with this. If you look real close, there is a ledge to support the tip of the screw.
With your atc, there would be no problem switching between .125" and .375" bits.
Bob
pocket.jpg
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

Hi thanks for your input.

I've experimented with the flute tool myself and got similar results. Unfortunately it doesn't do a step and centre the screw which I think from using pocket screws is quite important.

I was hoping to create some interest for someone to consider writing a gadget specific for pocket holes.

I think the Thermwood version is perfect and I'm surprised it hasn't been asked for before on the Vectric gadget forums.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

I've experimented with the flute tool myself and got similar results. Unfortunately it doesn't do a step and centre the screw which I think from using pocket screws is quite important.
Do you mean that step?:
step.JPG
It can easily be made bigger if needed.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Is it important that the head of the screw connects with a flat surface that is perpendicular to the axis of the screw ? This would require a cutter much smaller that the head of the screw.

Would you prefer to use a cutter that is the diameter of the screw head?

How important is speed here ?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

Is this what you had in mind ? The notch is made with FlutePlus, and the screw seat is a drill path, all with a 0.125" EM. The screw head rests on a surface that is perpendicular to the screw axis.

another step would make the bottom truly flat if necessary
Attachments
notch v1
notch v1
slightly better version
slightly better version
Paul Rowntree

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

PaulRowntree wrote:Is this what you had in mind ? The notch is made with FlutePlus, and the screw seat is a drill path, all with a 0.125" EM. The screw head rests on a surface that is perpendicular to the screw axis.

another step would make the bottom truly flat if necessary

Hi Paul
Yes it's important that the screw head lies on a perpendicular surface.
I think you have about solved it with version 2.
Speed is helpful but not essential for the amount I wouldn't think.

I'm away from Vcarve at the moment but will have a good look when I return.

Thank you very much

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

Bob Jr wrote:
Do you mean that step?:
step.JPG
It can easily be made bigger if needed.
Bob
Hi Bob.
I'm sorry I really don't see the step until you pointed it out. That would do it.

I'm away from Vcarve until next week so will have a closer look.

Thank you very much for your help.

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Post by PaulRowntree »

Here is the file with a step-by-step example of how to make the shape. The actual dimensions you use will depend on the screw to use and the angle of the notch.

EDIT : if you want to make many such structures on a project, make a copy of the lines set everywhere you want a notch (no grouping !), always with the start of the vectors towards the deep end, then select the shape profile, ALL of the line sets, then run the gadget. They will make a single toolpath. Faster to make, but each depth of the roughing process is done for each notch before moving deeper, so it will be slower to cut than a series of individual toolpaths.

Gadget is free to download from PaulRowntree.Weebly.com. Apparently Chrome browsers can't access the files. Notch 2.crv is also in the Samples directory at the download site.
Cheers!
Attachments
woodscrew notch vectors.png
notch 2.crv
Instructions are in Notes, will auto-open
(958.5 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
Paul Rowntree

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard

Re: COMMERCIAL Pocket hole gadget

Post by PaulRowntree »

The FlutePlus route to this toolpath is available to everyone for unlimited use, free. Donations gratefully accepted if it is worth it to you.

If your work requires making these on a regular basis, I would be willing to create a commercial gadget to do this in an optimized way, with easier design path and trivial creation of multiple notches in a project, mm or inches. I would need at least 10 interested parties @$50/ea to get into this. Please PM me if you are interested.

Cheers!
Paul Rowntree

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard

Post by Bob Jr »

OK, I guess I have too much time to play right now.
I tried out the fluted version of this toolpath. A .375" straight router bit was used for all three cuts in the pocket:1. long ramp, 2. short ramp under the screw head, 3. the point ledge. (I don't have ATC, and didn't want to do tool changes.) The pocket can be cut in 12 seconds. I cut back the feed rate to 50% on my machine, and it took 25 seconds. There was still a little smoke because each pass were done in one cut. I would use multiple passes in the future. I used .75" oak plywood, with a coarse thread and fine thread fastener.
I like the results:
DCP02833.JPG
DCP02832.JPG
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

djcregan

Post by djcregan »

Bob Jr wrote:OK, I guess I have too much time to play right now.
I tried out the fluted version of this toolpath. A .375" straight router bit was used for all three cuts in the pocket:1. long ramp, 2. short ramp under the screw head, 3. the point ledge. (I don't have ATC, and didn't want to do tool changes.) The pocket can be cut in 12 seconds. I cut back the feed rate to 50% on my machine, and it took 25 seconds. There was still a little smoke because each pass were done in one cut. I would use multiple passes in the future. I used .75" oak plywood, with a coarse thread and fine thread fastener.
I like the results:
DCP02833.JPG
DCP02832.JPG
Bob

It looks pretty good.
I was thinking that the screw head would need to have a flat face to seat to but it looks like in reality the head just compresses the plywood?
I suppose it could be enhanced by using a separate smaller tool to creat a small pocket to centre the screw point but not sure. I will try it when my machine arrives in October.

Thanks for your efforts.