Looking for suggestions (pics) for work holding options

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Techno Isel 3'x4' Gantry III

Looking for suggestions (pics) for work holding options

Post by Tundraman »

I have a new (to me) machine that I am looking for some ideas how other people have done things. My existing one used t-slots which was fine for most things. It has a small work area so many times it had to do with the limited space around machining area.

The new one is 40x48 cutting area with aluminum T-slot table and has a large Z height. So I'm planning a 24x24 to 30x30 raised removable platform to reduce the Z to 5" to 6", which will be the primary work area. For larger items I can still use the aluminum T-slots, etc.

I have seen a number of ideas with threaded inserts & t-slots. Would like some pics of your method, especially with straight edges and cam clamps, any things you would change to improve your method or how you would do it if you were to start over.

Looking to get some ideas from the accumulated wisdom available on this helpful forum.
Thanks,
Scott

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Looking for suggestions (pics) for work holding options

Post by rscrawford »

Here is a simple insert that can be cut from 3/4" hard maple and glued into a pocket in your spoil board. Fits a T-bolt (like the Rockler Clamps) perfectly, and you can place them in specific places if you are cutting the same part over and over. They can be surfaced when you surface your spoil board, several times before they become too thin.

I included the files as a V-Carve file so more people can download it. It still opens and works with Aspire. They cut out with an onionskin, then I just bandsaw them out and glue them upside down into a pocket in your spoil board - if I have a 3/4" spoil board I cut a 5/8" deep pocket and glue the plugs in, making sure no glue obstructs the bottom of the plug (or the T-bolt won't be able to turn and lock in place).

I posted this file a while ago, but its hard to find old posts on this site!
Attachments
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG
Clamping plugs.crv
(524.5 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Tundraman »

rscrawford - Thanks I saw those when you posted them originally, however had forgotten about them. I think those are a great idea especially since they don't get all the dust, etc. to foul them up like inserts can.

Adrian, thanks for the link. Do you still use the same method use showed on the link?

Anyone else? I know I have seen other ideas and I'm sure there are plenty of new things people have tried since 2012. I know this may be old hat to some but there are plenty of newer people looking for ideas and some others looking for upgrades.

Thanks again,
Scott

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Thanks, I had lost the vcarve file as well.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Tundraman wrote: Adrian, thanks for the link. Do you still use the same method use showed on the link?
I rarely use anything other than full 8x4 sheets these days so I no longer have the t-track but those hold downs worked perfectly when I was using them. The last iteration I made of them had nylon bolts with nylon nuts inserted into the knobs which was more friendly to the bit if something went wrong!

larrybadgett
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by larrybadgett »

Woodchip
Wud Bi Tek
http://wudbitek.com/

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

For my small items I use a movable VAC table design by Paul Stelpflug
Very easy to use.
Michael
Attachments
vac-table-2.jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Bill Young from Shopbot offered his wedging top for the Desktop I've got.
Added inserts between his reference dowels and is a PITA to build but haven't regretted it for proto'ing or production.
Not much it won't hold securely or accurately. We take 6 backer boards of buttons and swap out the blanks for each bit toolpath and only takes 45 seconds to swap out and repeat the cut, and can accurately countersink 60-120 .08" buttonholes. Saved 1.5 hrs a day.
Pretty versatile.
Would make substrate out of BB and seal the heck out of it before gluing replaceable .25"MDF layer on top, and MAY go unflanged inserts if I ever kill this one.
Overkill for most, but perfect for our 2 machines. Maybe for a small area of your machine with reference dowels and several inserts it would make a nice multi-use repeatable jig.
If interested I posted the files on another thread and can find it again.
Just posting a few pics here because you mentioned inserts.
scott
Attachments
Bills for Kirk.jpg
Bills for one ofs 2.jpg
Bills for one ofs.jpg
Bills for scrap.jpg
Bills quilted shelf midnight.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Oh, repeatable/swap out button blanks for .2" stock and a quick set up for surfacing some weird shaped pieces.
You did say(pics) :)
Attachments
Bills swap boards not bits.jpg
Bills with blank.jpg
Bills surfacing.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Tundraman
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Tundraman »

Adrian,
Thanks that's good to know.

Woodchip,
I saw those, they look interesting. I was wondering, with the eccentric holes do you just turn the circles until snug then tighten the bolt and be sure it is tight on all sides? Have they been holding up well? Where did you get the o-rings? Similar to cam clams without the handles.

Micheal,
That looks like a very nice portable piece. Is that made of PVC? Your using a shop vac? Did you make it or buy it?

Scott,
I was hoping you would reply. I had seen little bits of it in many of your posts. I even searched on the SB forum to find out more info. After finding it I still have more questions- what is the spacing for each grid? All the edge pieces and brackets have holes for each? Are the cam clamps from Shopfox?
It looks very complex yet simple, very interesting. I would be interested in the files.

Thanks to all, this certainly gives plenty to consider.
Scott

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Scott,
It is PVC but any solid material should work.
The size is about 24" x 36" and I use a Fein Turbo ll , but a normal shop vac will work and yes I made it myself,,,very quick and easy but very effective.
Just use some tape around the edges.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

willmorgan
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by willmorgan »

Great thread with good information.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Scott,
I asked the same questions when I first started and got excellent responses.
On #12 Bill Young gives the Dropbox link for his original design.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showth ... op+jigging
1.5" spacing and his fences/jigs have dowel spacing offset by .75", so the workpiece always winds up at an inch increment.
I just added inserts equidistant from his reference dowels so stuff can't shift and dowel holes don't gradually get out of round.
Yep, Shopfox from Amazon, but throw is very limited and need to make some eccentric cam clamps for myself for a larger/faster throw.
Spoilboard file to big for on here because I have a bunch of stuff in No Man's Land because I had to rotate it to Tile through my Y axis.
Likewise with his "fences and jigs" file as I have his originals/my stretched ones with bolt hole drilled and counterbored for Fastenal Connector bolts(Nice flat profile,no washers needed,and Allen key is simple/fast), so messy, but I just copy/grab what I need and put it in the field and nest them.
Have used Adrian's nylon bolts and saved me twice:)
Email me at scottkport at gmail dot com for files/inserts and tool used/Fastenal bolt link.
scott
Attachments
Bills fences and wedges BB.jpg
Bills spoilboard 2.jpg
Bills spoilboard back2.jpg
R.N.

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

On the topic of the clamps used in T-track, I really find these home made ones work well.

I have some of the Rockler clamps, but I like the home made ones better. They are made from scrap 3/4 oak. About 9 inches long or shorter. A slight angle on the clamping surface. They are more adjustable than the factory made when you need to reach the work piece from the distant T slot. The longer ones work well for thicker stock while a six inch clamp would be enough for most pieces.

Best part, you can cut right through them when things don't go perfectly.

Simple Aspire file available.
Attachments
2015-04-09 20.54.24.jpg
2015-02-22 13.37.51.jpg
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II