Shrill harmonic scream

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP PRO 4848

Shrill harmonic scream

Post by cstmwrks »

OK, so this has nothing to do with Vectric software but I thought I would ask here anyway. In the last week I just got my CNC router up and running. Enough to do a test on MDF and make a dust shoe from plastic. So when I hook up and test run the shop vac, that is when I get the Shrill harmonic scream at the vacuum motor. I have a speed control and two sizes of shop vacs, the larger rated at 6.5 amps. Does not matter what one. I still get that nasty scream. Speed control just varies the scream some what.

It is a 4' x 4' table and the vacuum is hooked up to 12' of 1 1/4" hose. My first suspect is it just takes a larger hose diameter? Like 2"? or larger? There was plenty of air moving at the shoe, enough to bend the dust skirt in even with the spindle 4" off the table.
I had hoped to just use stuff I already had, but being 8K into this I suspect now is not the time to go cheap. Are the larger $200.00 + dust systems I see at wood working shops the way to go for effective dust removal and no loud screaming noise.
The scream from the vacuum was far worse than any tool noise from cutting.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Re: Shrill harmonic scream

Post by Barry Anderson »

I think you may be on the right track. When I have hooked a small shop vac up to a plunge router while making signs by hand, I get a loud noise as well. I think it comes on mine from having to reduce it so much to go on the router base. The shop vac does not make the noise when not hooked up to this one tool.

Barry Anderson

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I'd bet it was from the hose.
The twist or rings in the hose, if not designed for "High Speed Wind" ( for lack of a technical term) will cause this to happen.
Try getting the recommended hoses for vacuums.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

Just got back from the local woodcraft. They had 2 1/2" hose. No howling. Just have a hose management problem now. Stuff is like a limp noodle.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

You might find the shop vac will burn out after a few really long cuts, as they are not really meant for prolonged use.

Dedicated dust collectors are meant to run for longer periods of time, and move a lot more air. With those, you will probably want a 4" hose. The secret to collecting dust is in moving the most air possible. The larger the hose, the more air will move (less resistance).
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

With a machine your size 48x48?, do yourself a favor and buy a decent collector....... this is a great deal (2hp w/ 1 micron canister) (220V 9A)
I put a cyclone mounted on 30gal barrel in front of mine but its not really needed........ this collector will keep your table and shop clean, plus will handle other equipment. With 1micron canister and large bags you won't be breathing dust and emptying so often. Yes you can spend a bunch on hose and duct if you get fancy but 1- 4" flex hose w/loop from ceiling machine works great....... you can easily make a dust shoe for 4" hose. (I used 4"scd.20 pvc for duct (w/gnd. wire)..)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-Can ... es/G0548ZP

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

Hi rscrawford and glenninvb,
Being some thing like 8.5K into this project, going cheap on dust control is not the intent. Honest. It is a space issue. I'd love to have a legit dust collector. Looked over the 279.00 model at woodcraft. Only reason I left without one is floor space. Even the fact that it is mobile does not help me much. Have to come up with a clever hose suspension as well. Garage door when it opens rolls over the top of the router so no suspending hoses from the ceiling. At some point I might try to figure out how to mount this: http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon- ... 31810.html under the router table.

For the most part a work item that takes 15 minutes to cut before a pause and tool change will be a "big" job for me. Right now I'm using the 5 gallon bucket adapter vac for all of $22.00, so oven if I have to buy two or three before ( hopefully ) I move to a larger place I can deal with it. If it lasts a week, well that would be another issue.

I gotta go cut another support arm for the hose. I can post an image of the set up if anyone is interested.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

That harbor freight model is very noisy. The next model up uses a quieter motor - still noisy, but significantly less so.

My machine is also under a garage door track. I used some hooks and a bungee cord, and suspended my dc hose from the garage door track, and can still operate the door okay.

Angie

cstmwrks
Vectric Craftsman

Post by cstmwrks »

zeeway wrote:That harbor freight model is very noisy. The next model up uses a quieter motor - still noisy, but significantly less so.
Angie
I read the reviews and saw that as a common complaint. Way worse than a common shop vac?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

cstmwrks wrote: I read the reviews and saw that as a common complaint. Way worse than a common shop vac?
No, not even close. With a shopvac, the noise you hear is the motor screaming. With a dust collector, the noise you here is the air moving.
Very different noise. Yes, it is loud, but so are all other dust collectors. All of which are much quieter than common shop vacs.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Agree with Ger 21. I have the larger Harbor Freight dust collector, and while it is quieter than the screaming shop vacs, I still wear hearing protection when running my machine with or without the DC on. What did you say.....?

Angie

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

While I agree a real DC is the way to go, DO have to disagree that All Shopvacs are noisy.
Fein TurboII Hepa now a year and a half old, and runs at least 3 (usually 6-10) hours a day. About as noisy as my Mielle house vac. Use Delta DC in unheated garage for big tools and a SmartVac(Lighthouse motor) vented outdoors for RO sanding.
The difference is, I can hear the music and the cat naps in shop with the Fein....And the cat disappears and hearing protection go on when the other 2 are running :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

bobrickard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop MAX

Post by bobrickard »

Sometimes you can substitute wall space for floor space. Sounds like your garage door limits this option, but here is what I did to get the dust collector off the floor.
Attachments
06-.jpg

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

scottp55 wrote:While I agree a real DC is the way to go, DO have to disagree that All Shopvacs are noisy.
Nobody said ALL shop vacs are noisy.
But at 4-5x the price of a "regular" shop vac, not everyone wants to buy a Fein or Festool.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I'm very limited on floor space as well, but I put a priority of proper dust collection, so should you. Really had to squeeze it in, $$ and floor space well spent.
I use the harbor freight 2 hp model, the one you are considering I don't think would be much better than a shop vac. My setup, with an added separator barrel, uses an area of about 2x2x4' and I am so glad I got it [used a shop vac for years, and have coats of dust all over my garage to prove it].

Not very loud at all, more of a hum than a shriek, alot quieter than either a shop vac or router. Also runs on 110v, they occasionally have them on sale for as little as $140, I also added a top of the line filter which costs more than the collector.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
Doug